Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get new desktop themes

Beans

How to get new desktop themes

i just recently took vista off my computer and replaced it with ubuntu. im learning very fast.i was trying to get new themes for my desktop but i have no clue on how to do. i have tried to use emerald theme manager but it never lets me pulled up the theme that was download. alot of people in other threads say something about gnome. is there any updates or anyhting else in the package manager that i need to install. if so i will. but what is the process of using them on your desktop or using the software to add it to your themes. i have been trying to install the MAC desktop theme and the blue emerald desktop theme. if anyon ewho can briefly explain it to me, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    duquer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to get new desktop themes

go to www.gnome-look.org alot of the themes there you can just take the file and drag and drop it into system>preferences>appearance>themes window. post back if you have any problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Right-click on the desktop and you will get something that says "Change System Background". That pulls up a tabbed preferences thing you can also find under system-preferences-appearance in the menu on the top panel.

The tab farthest to the left is all of the themes you have, and it has a button that says "Install". You can install any theme like one from gnome-look.org or whatever that comes at as .tar.gz, so you could install Elegant Brit by selecting elegant-brit.tar.gz. Alternatively, you can just drag that file to the window with all of the themes and it will install it automatically.

Let me know how this works!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'd recommend getting Gnome-Art Next Gen. It's a very user-friendly program that allows you to totally customize your Desktop...everything from the wallpaper to application windows to your splash screen!

Get it HERE. Select 'packages' to download and then simply run it once it's downloaded. The program will then appear in Applications>System Tools

Cheers!
    Ubuntu User number # 23767

Go ahead, grab a GNOME and smash some Windows

Beans

i just wanted to say thank you to everyones help. i will try everything when i get home from work today and let you know how things went. cause i mainly just want to change my borders and have the the mac theme with the selections at the bottom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Try this site: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mac4lin for a really cool desktop!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Better install ubuntu studio theme rather than others coz installing emerald gave me problem somethimes ..
    sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-desktop
    this looks good for me
    sudo apt-get desires-of-life
    Life would be so beautiful if desires were found in repository.

Beans

when i download links like for themes, where do or how do you install the files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Message #3 above from mewithafez explains this perfectly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by duquer View Post
    when i download links like for themes, where do or how do you install the files
    right click >Change desktop background>Themes drag and drop.
    The Day Microsoft make something that doesn't suck...is the day they make Vacuum cleaners.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast