Thread: Installing Ubuntu on a Linpus Acer Aspire One

Beans

Exclamation Installing Ubuntu on a Linpus Acer Aspire One

Hey folks, I recently purchased an Acer Aspire One with Linpus Linux built in.

I was wondering how I can go about installing Ubuntu on this OS, but via a USB-stick/external hard-drive. The netbook has no CD/DVD drive so it might be trickier?

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Installing Ubuntu on a Linpus Acer Aspire One

buy a IDE to USB cable adapter

that way you can hook up a cd drive and boot to cd. very handy to have.

Beans

Thanks for the reply wolfen... but I'd prefer using hardware I already have (plus where I'm at right now it's hard to find more technical computer accessories... not in North America ).

Is it not possible to download the Ubuntu ISO and put it on a USB stick with some kind of boot program as well?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

yes, you can. Pendrivelinux

Beans

thanks for the site.

I also found this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne
    which seems pretty good.

however it mentions the wireless killswitch doesn't work. Aside from the button not working, wifi can still be managed through the OS right?

Beans

Have fun getting full functionality. I've resorted to trying a liveusb boot of a different linux distro for skype, ubuntu for normal usage otherwise, and leaving windows xp on it for emergencies. Hopefully this will let me do what i need to... this way when i want to use skype (and don't want to use windows) I can pop in the usb and skype away.

Getting mics to work is super hard for me for some reason with ubuntu.. and the steps i needed to take to get there knocked out my wifi (which took long enough to figure out!)... So now I have to reinstall ubuntu from scratch and use my 2nd linux os usb live to run skype... patch job that will work for now i suppose. hopefully they'll fix up some of the problems with the aspire one in future distros... maybe not though. who knows. if you make any progress and get it going fully with your AA1, let me know! Love to hear about how you do it. Thanks...

roo (drew)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    yes, you can. Pendrivelinux
    Even easier is boot the Live CD on a machine with a CDROM and use the System/Administration/"Create a USB startup disk", and stick a cheap 1G usb drive in. Pretty easy.

G.
    Last edited by gmc; November 26th, 2008 at 10:45 AM. Reason: bad grammar :-)