Thread: Internet Setup

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Arrow Internet Setup

i know this may sound ameture, it kinda is, i have used Ubuntu for a while now and love it but now comes the time for me to get online with it. i would like to know how to start a dial up account on Ubuntu. Please explean this in Laymans terms for me. When you tell me how to do this, pretend that i am an absolute dummy, but please be specific. i just have a general dial up account through PeoplePC and would like to be online with it. is it even possible with Ubuntu or even Kubuntu for that fact? Thanks!
    David

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Internet Setup

ok i appreciate the help but that didnt really help me... i dont understand half of that stuff... i need somone to tell me piece by piece how to do this.. like "go to menu, then click on connections, see where is says *this*? enter information here" just like that! that would be so helpful to me! or heck if it would be easier, you can even call me at my office, 740-456-6193, my name is david and i am trying to get a head start on Linux because our company is going to start offering it as one of our many Computer Related Services and I am in charge of it! Thanks
    David

Beans

Here try this, it has screenshots

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

thank you tuxxy! that actually was a great help... now another question, what happens if my modem is not detected, i know the drivers are installed, i used it with my windows xp connection, but does my modem have to be a Linux Specific Modem, and if it does how much do you think one would cost?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I am fairly new to Linux myself but Windows and Linux are two different systems and they need operating system dependent drivers. It depends on your type of modem that you have. If you have a Winmodem (Software based modems) you maybe out of luck but don't give yet try www.Linmodems.org for help. Most PCI modems are winmodems. Some winmodems do have Linmodem drivers available; you will to contact your modem manufacture to see if a driver is available.

I was first burn winmodems on a ISA system that was running MS-DOS on. Personally I decided on a hardware based PCI modem by Multitech at a cost of $75.00 but I get a ten year warranty in the deal. I didn't get the Voice model as I not planning using the answer machine software on the windows side. I did so I could regain control how my modem behaves.

Good Luck,
    KE4AVB
    Last edited by KE4AVB; December 6th, 2008 at 02:19 AM.