Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Made a huge booboo........

Beans

Re: Made a huge booboo........

What happens is, when I start the pc, I get the partition page up,with Windows and Ubuntu, I choose Ubuntu, then when the screen comes up, it is Kubuntu, I look forthe drop down menu, choose Gnome, it logs in, In the system drop down menu it has Ubuntu, but in ther other drop down menus its got all Kubunu menus.

Beans

Just wondered, would it be better just to uninstall Ubuntu and reinstall it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

When you install kubuntu-desktop - the menus become rather on the large side. If you've logged into gnome that is what you are running.

To get back try this

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jakewc2 View Post
    Hi, I thought that might be what you meant, I went in logged off, then the Kubuntu log in screan came up, I chose Gnome, but it still has Kubuntu come up. Teach me to stop meddling.
    nah keep up ur meddling there's no other way to learn.

What else do I need to do?
    try logging in, find ur package manager, which should be called synaptic (ubuntu) or kynaptic (kubuntu) and should be located at System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager.

this is most likely where ur experiment went awry in the first place. fyi a package is a set of software, and u will often have to install dependent packages (many times called libraries or libxxx) when u need a certain program.

GNOME is what u want for the traditional ubuntu system. search for it with the package manager, or search the forums/internet for instructions on how to re-install.

Is Kubuntu better than Ubuntu? Does it make a difference? Apart from what it looks like?
    read more here :http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde

in my experience KDE/kubuntu is a little slower and less stable, but looks cooler.
    Also, I installed Thunderbird yesterday, it worked when it was Ubuntu, not it wont work, gives an error

Could not launch application

ailed to execute child process "/home/jakewc2/.mozilla/firefox/jlyjhf4i.default/bookmarks.html" (Permission denied)

How do get that back as well?
    1. thunderbird or firefox? thunderbird is an e-mail client, firefox is the web browser.

2. apparently having to do with permissions. likely that when u switched to KDE, some permissions got mixed up and firefox/tbird doesn't realize that it's really u who is logged in trying to access the program. search the forums/internet for that error message and how to correct permissions in different desktop sessions.

lastly i am gonna offer this: if u have time on ur hands and feel like learnin the hard way, keep pressin on. it will be worth it in the long run when u encounter other issues (and u will). but that said, don't hesitate to simply reinstall if u hit a roadblock and need the computer for productivity.
    Homegrown's alright with me

Beans

Hi, I just wanted to say thank you for not giving up on me, I really appreciate it. I am not that good with new stuff, I fiddle get lost and panic. To have somebody that seems to understand is really helpful. I will try what you have suggested.

It is Thunderbird that I'm trying to open, and that is the error I get, which does seem odd. That error only came when I messed up. I click on the TB Icon, and that error appears.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ok, thunderbird and firefox are obviously written by the same folks over at mozilla. and i'm guessin that they've set up thunderbird to do something, i dunno what, with your firefox bookmarks when TB starts up. just a guess.

i'm also guessin that when u switched desktop environments (gnome ---> kde), something happened to a file or files somewhere that associates your desktop user with the mozilla programs. specifically, the computer lost the knowledge that you, under your login name for your new desktop environment, are allowed to start up firefox and/or thunderbird.

is firefox workin?

i'm guessin yet again that this thunderbird issue relates back to the same issue you are facin with your desktop environment. the TB error in particular has to do with permissions for your desktop user.

fyi i'm goin to sleep soon so if u don't hear back, no offense or nothin but i'm gonna have to check back tomorrow.
    Homegrown's alright with me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If I understand you correctly: you installed kubuntu-desktop, which has given you the KDE desktop and KDE applications. You don't want the KDE stuff, you want to switch back to the original ubuntu stuff. Right?

If that's what you want to do - have you followed the advice given to you earlier by forestpixie? If you follow that advice, you'll get what you want. You'll get back to the original ubuntu set-up.

EDIT: here's the link forestpixie gave you to follow - http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome. Click on it and follow the instructions.
    Last edited by t0p; September 10th, 2008 at 09:04 AM.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans

Hi everybody, unfortunately, I had a bit of a problem with the things I was fiddling with, and ended up messing things up really badly, in the end I had to reinstall. This time I think I have everything in order, well it seems to be.

Just wanted to say thank you for all the suggestions, they really helped.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12