Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] how do I re-edit text in Gimp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

[SOLVED] how do I re-edit text in Gimp

this is really infuriating me; I have some images with layers containing text - I want to edit some of the existing text but for the life of me I can't figure out how.

I select the layer, then click on it with the text tool, but all it does is open a fresh text box, not one with existing text in it.

I was never a very experienced user of photoshop, but I could do some basic things and that was all I needed. However I can't seem to make some of these simple things happen in Gimp; it's certainly not making the change from XP to Ubuntu easy.

Is there a simple guide to using Gimp cause its 'Help' pages are not!
    Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 m/board + 3.0Ghz Phenom II X4 945 CPU + 4GB DDR2 RAM + Sapphire HD5770 1GB video + 1 pata & 3 sata drives (2000 GB) + 2 DVD burners + 2 x 19" LCD monitors ... July'08 -XP +Hardy, Dec'09 +Karmic, May'10 +Lucid

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Re: how do I re-edit text in Gimp

On the Layers window, right button on the text layer, choose "Text Tool" and it opens the initial dialog box to type text, where you can change it.

There must be an easier way though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Mmm just tested what you said and it works for me.

Selecting the text layer, then using the text tool and clicking on the text opens the same dialog to edit the text. Are you 100% positive that you have the right layer selected? If I have a different layer selected a new dialog will popup as you said.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

thanks for the super fast reply.

As far as I can tell I have selected the correct layer; but if I right click on it in the layer window, there is no option to choose 'text tool'

this is Gimp 2.4.6
    does that make any difference, do I need to re-install it?
    Last edited by charonred; September 10th, 2008 at 08:45 AM.
    Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 m/board + 3.0Ghz Phenom II X4 945 CPU + 4GB DDR2 RAM + Sapphire HD5770 1GB video + 1 pata & 3 sata drives (2000 GB) + 2 DVD burners + 2 x 19" LCD monitors ... July'08 -XP +Hardy, Dec'09 +Karmic, May'10 +Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

*bump* - I still can't get Gimp to re-edit text.

Beans

Thats because you may have applied a filter to it, it's abit like Photoshop how you rasterize the layer.

You have to click the text tool and then click the text on the canvas(not on the layers tab), then it will ask if you want to edit the text, this removes any filters you have applied.

Yes I know it's not as flexible as Photoshop but you'll find having to get your text right first is the best way to work with GIMP. This applies to effects as well, unlike Photoshop where you can edit and change them as you go.

You'll find extra plugins like layer effects for Photoshop in the Ubuntu repos, but they are not as flexible, i.e they dont show in reatime how the effect will be on your text, unlike Photoshop does. It's the down side of GIMP but like me you can adjust your way of working to get around it, I have.
    Last edited by Half-Left; September 10th, 2008 at 01:04 PM. Reason: typos/more info

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pasto View Post
    On the Layers window, right button on the text layer, choose "Text Tool" and it opens the initial dialog box to type text, where you can change it.
    This also works for me, no problem.

One thing though, which may be the culprit, if you have rotated the text you can no longer edit it ASAIK as shown above. There may be other instances where you can no longer edit text, but rotate is the only one I have come across personally.
    If the advice you're given in this forum solves your issue, please mark the post as [SOLVED] in consideration to others.
    Registered Linux User: 448689 | How To: Secure the GRUB Boot Loader
    [ Acer Aspire 5535 | Arch Linux x86_64 | Compiz WM ]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by munkyeetr View Post
    This also works for me, no problem.

One thing though, which may be the culprit, if you have rotated the text you can no longer edit it ASAIK as shown above. There may be other instances where you can no longer edit text, but rotate is the only one I have come across personally.
    You can edit your text by using the technic I just post, but it resets your text.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

thanks all.

I haven't applied any filters.

Say I create a new layer and add an image to it, then I add another layer with some text on it, then save and exit.

I re-open it, select the layer, click text tool and then click on actual text; it opens a new text box with no existing text, which means I have to re-type the text again, instead of just altering a word or two, then delete the existing layer - not very efficient.

Beans

I may be wrong but5 if you anchor the text or merg the text to another layer then you can not edit the text you just have to replace it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast