Thread: Nuke my linux box!

Beans

Nuke my linux box!

Ok, so suppose that you're an elite Neo-esque hacker and have been *gasp* creating malicious software targeting the upper echelon of government intelligence. Everything has been going fine, until now. It turns out that flagburner735 was actually an undercover agent posing as a customer. You are officially screwed, and can hear the sirens closing in from the difference. You quickly throw your notes into the fireplace and light them up, glad that there is no other physical evidence. You hurry over to your computer terminal, very aware that there is a myriad of incriminating evidence stashed away in the drives. Luckily, you have created a script ahead of time that will nuke any possible evidence quickly and effectively.

What is that script?
    Here are the things it needs to do:
    • Wipe out sensitive data in under 1 minute (although it is more important to be thorough than fast)
    • Target information in priorities (/home should go first, but there is no need to destroy /proc)
    • Destroy data to the point that the pesky lab technicians at the FBI can't recover it
    • Be root protected, and ask for a quick confirmation before running
    • Be readily accessible - you will only type the command "nuke" into a terminal

The quality of this script could mean the difference between a life in prison and freedom. What is that script?
    <3 thunder

Beans

Re: Nuke my linux box!

Quote Originally Posted by rouge568 View Post
    Ok, so suppose that you're an elite Neo-esque hacker and have been *gasp* creating malicious software targeting the upper echelon of government intelligence. Everything has been going fine, until now. It turns out that flagburner735 was actually an undercover agent posing as a customer. You are officially screwed, and can hear the sirens closing in from the difference. You quickly throw your notes into the fireplace and light them up, glad that there is no other physical evidence. You hurry over to your computer terminal, very aware that there is a myriad of incriminating evidence stashed away in the drives. Luckily, you have created a script ahead of time that will nuke any possible evidence quickly and effectively.

What is that script?
    Here are the things it needs to do:
    • Wipe out sensitive data in under 1 minute (although it is more important to be thorough than fast)
    • Target information in priorities (/home should go first, but there is no need to destroy /proc)
    • Destroy data to the point that the pesky lab technicians at the FBI can't recover it
    • Be root protected, and ask for a quick confirmation before running
    • Be readily accessible - you will only type the command "nuke" into a terminal

The quality of this script could mean the difference between a life in prison and freedom. What is that script?
    Is there something you're not telling us?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LingLing1337 View Post
    Is there something you're not telling us?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

First, "elite Neo-esque crackers" do NOT ask for information on public forums => epic fail

Nothing will do this. Physical access == bad news.

Your only options (for a 1 minute time frame) are encryption and a sledge hammer.

Of course if the sirens are howling that is a pretty good sign ...

=> game over <=
    Last edited by bodhi.zazen; September 10th, 2008 at 02:18 AM.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    Nothing will do this. Physical access == bad news.

Your only options (for a 1 minute time frame) are encryption and a sledge hammer.

Of course if the sirens are howling that is a pretty good sign => game over.
    -1 for the sledgehammer. A thermite grenade works within the timeframe the op laid out

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Moved to the Community Cafe.