Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Compilations/How-tos (A separate edition)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Compilations/How-tos (A separate edition)

I think it'd be really cool if FCM published a separate edition:
    a)Each time a series ended. For example, they'd have up a pdf that was entitled "Howto: Set up your own server", and was all the articles on that pulled from all the issues.
    b)That was a collection of 'regulars'. "The last 5 top 5s" "Half a year of Ubuntu Women", "Featured Letters", etc.
    Because, like, when I pull myself together and learn how to use the GIMP, it'll be a lot easier to just have one document. Also, I remember reading a Top 5 about blogging tools, but I didn't have a blog then, and now I can't remember what issue it's in, and can't be bothered to search through the last 10.
    I mentioned this to onlineapps, who told me to put it in the forum, but he said that:
    That's also a good idea, though it would make more sense to have "a year's worth" or something like that.
    Though he'll probably show up on this thread anyway.
    So what do the grand powers of Full Circle think?
    Blog
    #!
    Chan eil mi a Gàidhlig agam...pero si hablo español: soy catracho.
    Proud to be a Browncoat!

Beans

Smile Re: Compilations/How-tos (A separate edition)

I think that's an excellent idea. In fact, I'd even be willing to attempt to compile it if no one else volunteers to do so!

I've recommended tutorials published in FCM to others (in fact, I recently told a roommate who was curious about Scribus to check it out - despite being a Windows user, she's all about the open source software, lol).

It would be SSSOOOOO nice to be able to find an entire HowTo or series in a single special edition issue.
    ASUS Eee PC 701 (4G)
    900MHz, 2GB RAM, 4GB SSD, 16GB SDHC
    Running: Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Compilations/How-tos (A separate edition)

Quote Originally Posted by deicidist View Post
    I think that's an excellent idea. In fact, I'd even be willing to attempt to compile it if no one else volunteers to do so!
    Feel free!

You'll need some sort of PDF app to chop and splice the pages though. But really all you'd need to do is go through the issues, chop out all the Scribus articles then splice them together in to one PDF, email it to admin@fullcirclemagazine.org and he'll put them on our downloads page. Same with the Server series.

My GIMP series still has about two more parts to it.

And, if you feel adventurous, do the 'year in review' thing. Chop all the Top5s out of #01-12 and splice them together in one PDF. Same for Ubuntu Women.

Good luck!
    Ronnie
    Editor, Full Circle - The FREE Independent Magazine for the Ubuntu Community
    Official Ubuntu Member | Registered Linux User # 456627 | Registered Ubuntu User # 18227

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by fiddler616 View Post
    Also, I remember reading a Top 5 about blogging tools, but I didn't have a blog then, and now I can't remember what issue it's in, and can't be bothered to search through the last 10.
    You're looking for FCM#04 for the Top5 Blogging Tools.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuMagazine/FullIssueIndex
    Ronnie
    Official Ubuntu Member | Registered Linux User # 456627 | Registered Ubuntu User # 18227

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Originally Posted by fiddler616 View Post
    Also, I remember reading a Top 5 about blogging tools, but I didn't have a blog then, and now I can't remember what issue it's in, and can't be bothered to search through the last 10.
    You can find the article listing on the Full Circle wiki under

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuMagazine/FullIssueIndex

Listing for #16 will go up later in the week.
    RC
    RobinC@Amethyst
    -----------------------
    "Life, don't talk to me about life..."

Beans
    Distro

Thanks ronniet for the issue number, thanks RobinC for the Issue guide (I never knew about that...it'd be a nice touch to mention it on the very last page of issues), and thanks all of the above for being so supportive.
    If somebody tells me which PDF chop/splice app to use, I'll be perfectly willing to make a 12 months of Top 5s, or Year of Ubuntu Women, or whatever's needed. Just point me in the right direction.
    Mark as solved?
    Blog
    #!
    Proud to be a Browncoat!

Beans

Awesome idea! My sis and I were talking about wanting a compilation of the Scribus tutorial series last year. Can either Scribus or OpenOffice.org(3) open the PDF files and let you cut and paste the appropriate articles?
    For an OSX look check out Mac4Lin (updated support thread)
    Follow me on Twitter | My Blog
    The Search tool is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: Compilations/How-tos (A separate edition)

Quote Originally Posted by fiddler616 View Post
    Thanks ronniet for the issue number, thanks RobinC for the Issue guide (I never knew about that...it'd be a nice touch to mention it on the very last page of issues), and thanks all of the above for being so supportive.
    If somebody tells me which PDF chop/splice app to use, I'll be perfectly willing to make a 12 months of Top 5s, or Year of Ubuntu Women, or whatever's needed. Just point me in the right direction.
    Mark as solved?
    You could try PDFedit, not sure if it does pages, but it does allow editing of PDF text: http://pdfedit.petricek.net/pdfedit.index_e

DEB file available from GetDEB: http://www.getdeb.net/

If possible, try and have: www.FullCircleMagazine.org on each page, just so people know where the pages came from, and to expand our readership.

Thanks!
    Ronnie

Beans
    Distro

Either I'm missing something important, or:
    * The PDFedit download page doesn't include and Ubuntu-friendly format (ergo the getdeb link)
    * getdeb doesn't have it:
    http://www.getdeb.net/search.php?keywords=PDFedit
    Blog
    #!
    Proud to be a Browncoat!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

you could try this one (for Hardy): http://download.tuxfamily.org/3v1deb...untu1_i386.deb
    Ronnie

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast