Thread: User accounts - got my wife's parents into Linux

Beans

User accounts - got my wife's parents into Linux

Hello,
    today I installed Linux Mint on my wife's parents' computer since they've been having a lot of problems with slow performance and viruses clogging down their Windows XP system. They seem to be liking the new life pretty well.

However, what's the best way to manage their user account as I don't want them installing programs or messing up the system. They need some sort of password to get out of the screensaver mode and to login (I don't want them to use automatic login).

The way I see it they need a computer to do day to day-stuff like printing photos and checking their e-mail. They don't need to set up stuff as I will gladly help them with that (it's more fun than re-installing windows every 6 months).

I went with Mint as I know it to be easy to set up and still benefit from the huge Ubuntu/Debian support and program library.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: User accounts - got my wife's parents into Linux

well, the first account created on ubuntu will be the user account with admin privileges. So, for the parents create a seperate one. either a seperate one for each of them or just one seperate one.

Beans

Re: User accounts - got my wife's parents into Linux

Gotcha, seems like a straight-forward solution