Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Workplace switcher doesn't work with Compiz Fusion?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Workplace switcher doesn't work with Compiz Fusion?

Bump!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have the problem as Lizzard_King.

Bump

Beans

I have the same problem. This is definitely a bug.

Lucid Lynx beta 2, with the default install, using compiz (the default)

In the workspace switcher, mouse over a mini-window. A tooltip pops up saying "Click to start dragging <window name>".

Click and drag, nothing happens when you release the button.

Turn off compiz, and everything is fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

^Same.I am experiencing the same problem.This is,as if Work Space Switcher is Freezed/locked.I tried ccsd Desktop options.but that neither helped.

EDIT:Resolved after Enabling Desktop Cub Options.
    Last edited by deepclutch; June 2nd, 2010 at 01:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm having the same problem. I have normal visual effects on. If I switch it off, then I can move an application from another workspace to this one by clicking its shape in the workspace switcher and dragging it to the present workspace. With normal visual effects on, I'm taken to the other workspace upon release of the mouse button. Enabling cube didn't help.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by autonomy View Post
    I'm having the same problem. I have normal visual effects on. If I switch it off, then I can move an application from another workspace to this one by clicking its shape in the workspace switcher and dragging it to the present workspace.
    Same here. I noticed this in 9.10 and it is still in 10.04. The Workspace Switcher works like a charm with System / Preferences / Appearance / Visual Effects: set to NONE. Any other setting breaks the drag feature (reported by many users).

Searching, searching... it IS a bug (and it does not look like it will be fixed soon):

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ck/+bug/150690

I'm no coder, but it sounds like Compiz has a different take on what a 'workspace' is from how metacity defines them, so things just are not going to work the same. I'm pretty new to Linux/Ubuntu (and liking it), I don't know if it would help to add to the chorus there in launchpad to raise priority on this, or if that would distract from their efforts.

So this relates to my following related issue:

Anyone have a work-around for Screen-Zooming with Visual Effects OFF? - With Visual Effects set to NORMAL I was able to set the mouse to zoom the screen in/out (SUPER-Key + Scroll). But if I set Visual Effects to NONE so I can use the drag feature between Workspaces, I lose the zoom capability.

Anyway to get Screen Zoom with Visual Effects set to NONE?

TIA - NTL2009

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by gldearman View Post
    Try disabling visual effects. Then, right-click on workplace switcher, name your workspaces, and re-enable visual effects. Do the names stick?
    They don't stick, when switching back to Compiz.

My own way to bypass, but NO way fix, the problem was the following, as Compiz effects are working:

• I have installed a Cairo-Dock at the bottom and kept the Panel at the top as well.
    • I removed the Workspace Switcher from the Panel and put it on the Cairo-Dock.
    • I renamed the Workspaces on the Cairo-Dock.

In functionality terms, it's almost the same: I can see the Workspace names when mouse hovers over the squares. However, it's a subjective way to work, because I like Cairo-Dock.

And the strange problem is that, whenever I turn off the Compiz effects, and right-click on the windows' title, "Move to Another Workspace" option shows my modified names, but the same option retains original names "Workspace 1", "Workspace 2" and so on when I return to Compiz.

It seems like Compiz and metacity keep different lists of workspaces, and switching between them switches the lists as well. The obvious thing to do, provided that I am correct, is to change names on both lists in a corresponding way.

But, although it's frequently mentioned in this forum how to change the metacity's workspace names list (gconf-editor etc.), I can't find the similar way to change the Compiz list.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=825590

Any suggestions?

(P.S. if someone could tell me how the names can stick on the squares of the workspace-switcher as labels?)
    Last edited by _nikolaos; June 12th, 2010 at 05:43 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12