Thread: Switching from XP to Ubuntu

Beans

Switching from XP to Ubuntu

I have had ubuntu installed since 8.04 and love it. It is so free and feels amazing to use. But I rarely use it because I always run into problems that get me discouraged and I can just fix it by booting into XP which doesn't fail.

Now I'm sure if I spent a lot of time tinkering and trying to fix everything in Ubuntu that doesn't work right I probably could with the help of people on the internet. However, I don't have a lot of time to do this and only one computer so if I screw anything up I will be **** outa luck.

So I am wondering if anyone has any advice they could give me that might help me a little. At first I was thinking I could run ubuntu and just use vmware or w/e it is called to run a virtual xp if I ever need anything that isn't working in Ubuntu. (I do dual boot but I don't like switching back and forth every time I need to use the other OS)

Any help what so ever is appreciated, Thanks.

Beans

Re: Switching from XP to Ubuntu

Just use dual boot for now. You will learn more and more about Ubuntu in time. Then, you will feel more comfortable and you will never go back There's plenty of helpful topics,guides and sites about Ubuntu. For example:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/

And also if you insist on virtualing i also suggest "Virtualbox". You can find it in Ubuntu repos.

Beans

But I rarely use it because I always run into problems that get me discouraged
    Post your problems here and somebody will help you.That is one way of learning how to use Ubuntu.

Beans

Yes, what the above guy said, I'm sure we have all ran into the same learning curve ( I know I have). At first you are really confused and are trying to figure things out, and it's understandable to get frustrated, but as long as you don't give up and use the forums to help you out, you really will never want to go back. I know I don't, every other operating system feels so slow, Windows, Mac, it's extremely slow compared to Ubuntu. Ubuntu/Linux is very good at multitasking from my experience, just by opening up Word in a mac, the whole OS will lock up and you have to wait it out. Never had that happen with Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I started out with a dual boot Windows/Ubuntu to learn linux at my own pace over a year ago. At this point Windows is hardly used anymore. Just take your time and ask questions here. That's what nice about a dual boot setup. It doesn't hurt your PC having it there and as you learn more about Ubuntu you will see why you need Windows less and less.