Thread: Adobe Flash CS3/Actionscript 3.0 Ubuntu Port

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Adobe Flash CS3/Actionscript 3.0 Ubuntu Port

I am currently taking a class at the college for Actionscript 3 and Flash game developement and the computers at the college use Windows XP & Adobe Flash CS-3.

Well on my computer at the house I use Ubuntu Hardy and obviously I cant get Wine to run Flash CS3.

What can I use do to my homework?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Adobe Flash CS3/Actionscript 3.0 Ubuntu Port

this probably isn't the solution you were hoping for, but you can always virtualize an old copy of windows...
    and if that fails, these guys http://osflash.org/ have a few tricks up their sleeves...

Beans

Re: Adobe Flash CS3/Actionscript 3.0 Ubuntu Port

You can develop with the latest Flash ActionScript on Linux using Adobe's Flex. Try downloading the free Eclipse IDE and the free Flex SDK. If you like it, you can buy the full Flex IDE.

You will have a great IDE for writing your code and a lot of code classes to work with, but you will not have a GUI for manipulating your clips, etc., and the development process is quite different from what you'll be learning in your course (since your course will probably focus on Flash CS3). You would impress your teachers, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Arrow Re: Adobe Flash CS3/Actionscript 3.0 Ubuntu Port

In order to develop Flex applications, you have two choices:

Adobe® Flex® Builder™ - software is a highly productive Eclipse™ based development tool enabling intelligent coding, interactive step-through debugging, and visual design of the user interface layout, appearance, and behavior of rich Internet applications (RIAs).

OR

Adobe® Flex™ 3 Software Development Kit (SDK) - includes the Flex framework (component class library) and Flex compiler, enabling you to freely develop and deploy Flex applications using an IDE of your choice.

While Adobe® Flex® Builder™ is an appealing option, it is not free. It starts from $300, and goes up to $700 for a professional edition. Whereas Flex SDK is open source and free - which is “a bit” cheaper than $300. The biggest difference between the two is that with just SDK, you will have to use your own IDE / text editor to write Flex applications.

Here is a link with instructions on how to start Adobe Flex Development on Ubuntu, by setting up the environment, compiling and running a very simple Flex application.