Thread: Font Manager (Please)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Font Manager (Please)

It would be really nice to have GUI's for everything, and one basic GUI that is missing is for installing fonts. It surprises me that this is not already a basic feature of Gnome. And while I don't mind the 'sudo nautilus' option, this is not for everyone.

My problem is that I can not program in any advanced languages, and do not have the time at the moment to learn. If someone would like an easy project, please, PLEASE have a look at this one.

I did have a little play around in Glade and came up with the attached design. It needs work, but it is a beginning for someone to finish off.

If someone already knows of a good program (I mean nice to look at, simple etc.) then can they please get it built into Gnome. Or if there is a better place to post this let me know.

Thank you all very much for taking the time to read this.

EDIT: This post is now also on the gnomesupport.org forums http://gnomesupport.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10121
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by huwshimi; November 19th, 2005 at 11:15 PM.

Beans

Re: Font Manager (Please)

I know it's not what you're looking for, but KDE has a nice font installer/manager (as part of the control panel). That is one thing that I miss in Gnome, because I'm a font junky, and it's a pain to manually install a font every time I download one. (Well it's not that bad as far as single fonts, just open a terminal and "sudo mv *.ttf /usr/local/share/fonts/", but when migrating from my windows box it was much easier to do it through KDE.)

By the way, you may be better off posting this to the Gnome developers forum, or the bugzilla, esp. since you have a nice mock up of what you want.
    Last edited by kperkins; November 17th, 2005 at 02:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

At some point in the past you could copy the fonts to the ~/.fonts directory and they would automatically be added to the font registry. This would eliminate the need for sudo, but only makes the fonts available to a single user. Is this functionality no longer available?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by rmjokers
    At some point in the past you could copy the fonts to the ~/.fonts directory and they would automatically be added to the font registry. This would eliminate the need for sudo, but only makes the fonts available to a single user. Is this functionality no longer available?
    It still works.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xi0nblue
    It would be really nice to have GUI's for everything, and one basic GUI that is missing is for installing fonts. It surprises me that this is not already a basic feature of Gnome. And while I don't mind the 'sudo nautilus' option, this is not for everyone.

My problem is that I can not program in any advanced languages, and do not have the time at the moment to learn. If someone would like an easy project, please, PLEASE have a look at this one.

I did have a little play around in Glade and came up with the attached design. It needs work, but it is a beginning for someone to finish off.

If someone already knows of a good program (I mean nice to look at, simple etc.) then can they please get it built into Gnome. Or if there is a better place to post this let me know.

Thank you all very much for taking the time to read this.
    have a look at my blog entry about font stuff: http://ralph.n3rds.net/index.php?/ar.../40-Fonts.html