Thread: Ubuntu Studio Playstation 3 support

Beans

Ubuntu Studio Playstation 3 support

I'm in the middle og buying a PS3 for myself and as I enjoy making music/graphics I was wondering if anybody knows if Ubuntu Studio can be handled (flawlessly) by the PS3 hardware?

Check also this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=636057

starcannon is offline Chocolate Ubuntu Mocha Blend
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Ubuntu Studio Playstation 3 support

I just bought one, and I intend to put Ubuntu on it; and from what I'm reading, our only issue really is the ppc processor. That said, if Ubuntu's lack of ppc support becomes to big of an issue its no big deal to mod your install, or choose a distro that has ppc support. If I understand studio it's major draw is a low latency kernel, all the software on the studio install disk is readily available to a regular ubuntu or other distro install as well.

So, after my long winded /shrug, I'd say keep reading; I'd want to know if the low latency kernel is even applicable to a ppc, if it is, am I going to end up having to recompile the kernel anyway? etc..etc...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't know why there is no download for ubuntu 8.04 for ppc, as for 7.10 there is such download. Try http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/gutsy/release/. Or you could try the debian distribution, on which ubuntu is based on.
    The Odor
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending small a degree of it. -- Thomas Jefferson
    Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

Beans

And by the way: Which release should I choose? AMD64 or just the Intel x86?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo McCracken View Post
    And by the way: Which release should I choose? AMD64 or just the Intel x86?
    For Playstation? Neither. I thought you want the ppc version.
    The Odor
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending small a degree of it. -- Thomas Jefferson

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Liviu-Theodor View Post
    For Playstation? Neither. I thought you want the ppc version.
    And that is off course, exactly what I want. Sorry. My bad.

So the only real solution is to install this .iso, and then install the multimedia applications I want manually, later on?

Or:

Quote Originally Posted by Liviu-Theodor
    I don't know why there is no download for ubuntu 8.04 for ppc, as for 7.10 there is such download (...)
    Could the reason for the missing specific 8.04 PS3 .iso be, that the issues has been sorted out in 8.04?

Beans
    Distro

Or you could try, as I said before, the debian distribution, as there it is for more hardware architectures than ubuntu, and there is a ppc download. And because ubuntu is based on debian, it is easy to switch from one of these distributions to the other.
    The Odor

Beans
    Distro

I just read the http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/804 page. You should read it too, as it has some information relevant to your question.
    The Odor