Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Change your GL Text Screensaver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

HOW TO: Change your GL Text Screensaver

As we all know, the GL Text displays: Host-Name, Kernel Version. You can change it Quite easily. Go to terminal, CD to /usr/share/applications/screensavers The do
    Code:
    sudo nano gltext.desktop
    Then change the line that reads
    Code:
    Exec=gltext -root
    to
    Code:
    Exec=gltext -root -front -text 'your text here\n %l:%M:%S %p'
    and there you have it, a custom text screensaver.
    MCP, A+/Linux+ Certified IT Technician
    System Specs | Dress up your "Super Button" FREE
    "If sometimes you can't be good, then be VERY good at being naughty!"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: HOW TO: Change your GL Text Screensaver

T&t
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I see this has come up several times so I will post my changes. This displays the time on the screen in the format:
    Tuesday
    June 22, 2010
    7:00:00 pm

First I changed to the screensaver directory:

cd /usr/share/applications/screensavers

Then I copied the text screen saver
    sudo cp gltext.desktop gltime.desktop

Then I edited the time screen saver, deleting everything and replacing it with the text below.
    sudo nano gltime.desktop

Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Name=GLTime
    Comment=Displays a few lines of text spinning around in a solid 3D font. The text can use strftime() escape codes to display the current date and time. Written by Jamie Zawinski; 2001.
    TryExec=gltext
    Exec=gltext -root -front -text '%A%n%d %b %Y%n%l:%M:%S %p'
    StartupNotify=false
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Categories=Screensaver;
    OnlyShowIn=GNOME;
    Name[en_US]=xxGLTime.txt
    Control-O to save and Control-X to exit out of the editor. Then go to Preferences->screensaver->GLtime should be listed.

For more options you can type
    man gltext
    ":q" to exit out of that.

Still very disappointed with the lack of a simple screen saver in Linux. Even the xscreensaver package has a ton of great choices but nothing simple. I have seen several requests for the Windows marque type of screen saver. I just want something that displays the time or some text and moves it in different positions on the screen. This bounces it all over the place. ("-no-spin" didn't seem to help)

Beans

wow cool tip

Beans
    Hidden!

will this work with gksudo gedit?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by SoFl W View Post
    I see this has come up several times so I will post my changes. This displays the time on the screen in the format:
    Tuesday
    June 22, 2010
    7:00:00 pm

First I changed to the screensaver directory:

cd /usr/share/applications/screensavers

Then I copied the text screen saver
    sudo cp gltext.desktop gltime.desktop

Then I edited the time screen saver, deleting everything and replacing it with the text below.
    sudo nano gltime.desktop

Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Name=GLTime
    Comment=Displays a few lines of text spinning around in a solid 3D font. The text can use strftime() escape codes to display the current date and time. Written by Jamie Zawinski; 2001.
    TryExec=gltext
    Exec=gltext -root -front -text '%A%n%d %b %Y%n%l:%M:%S %p'
    StartupNotify=false
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Categories=Screensaver;
    OnlyShowIn=GNOME;
    Name[en_US]=xxGLTime.txt
    Control-O to save and Control-X to exit out of the editor. Then go to Preferences->screensaver->GLtime should be listed.

For more options you can type
    man gltext
    ":q" to exit out of that.

Still very disappointed with the lack of a simple screen saver in Linux. Even the xscreensaver package has a ton of great choices but nothing simple. I have seen several requests for the Windows marque type of screen saver. I just want something that displays the time or some text and moves it in different positions on the screen. This bounces it all over the place. ("-no-spin" didn't seem to help)
    Even after following these directions to the letter I haven't been able to get things working. It's quite strange. I agree that a simple marque type screen saver is a somewhat simple oversight, but would be so helpful, when I was still working in Windows I often used it to keep a long-term to-do list so I would keep it memorized from constantly reading it whenever I wasn't using my laptop.

Beans

Some how this doesn't work for me on 10.04. The GLTime doesn't show up in the list of screensavers, and when I make the edit to GLText it doesn't change. Anyone have any idea what could be missing? Worked great on 9.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Hunnicutt View Post
    Some how this doesn't work for me on 10.04. The GLTime doesn't show up in the list of screensavers, and when I make the edit to GLText it doesn't change. Anyone have any idea what could be missing? Worked great on 9.10.
    Drag gltime.desktop to the screen saver properties page. Then close the properties and open back up. gltime should be there.
    MCP, A+/Linux+ Certified IT Technician
    System Specs | Dress up your "Super Button" FREE
    "If sometimes you can't be good, then be VERY good at being naughty!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by theozzlives View Post
    Drag gltime.desktop to the screen saver properties page. Then close the properties and open back up. gltime should be there.
    I've done that and it works. However, I wanted to tweak "GLTime" even further and now I have two instances of GLTime in the Screensaver properties. Any idea how I can get rid of the first one? I only have one copy of gltime.desktop in /usr/share/applications/screensavers

I tried killing the gnome-screensaver process, but when I restarted it, there were two instances of GLTime in the Screensaver Properties window.

It looks to me as if dragging GLTime into the Screensaver Properties window causes gnome-screensaver to record a copy in a separate file of its own. Is there possibly a configuration file somewhere in /etc?
    Last edited by clockworkpc; September 21st, 2010 at 05:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: HOW TO: Change your GL Text Screensaver in 10.10 Maverick

I was able to use the instructions from SoFL (post #3) and I had a small problem running Ubuntu 10,10
    Using sudo cp gltext.desktop gltime.desktop only made a second copy of gltext without even changing the name.
    So my next step was to sudo gedit the last GLtext file and changed name, and pasted the code from SoFL.
    Only after that I could correctly use it

I haven't messed around by dragging files through properties, etc since I am fresh user of ubuntu...

I hope this helps

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast