Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto Share internet connection

Beans

Re: Howto Share internet connection

I had a couple of questions. Am I right in thinking that i would be able to share to more than one computer say one ubuntu and one windows. Also could i do this if I had a usb modem (dsl). Also I dont have a static IP but that won't affect this will it?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by dcast
    I had a couple of questions. Am I right in thinking that i would be able to share to more than one computer say one ubuntu and one windows. Also could i do this if I had a usb modem (dsl). Also I dont have a static IP but that won't affect this will it?
    Yes. You have to have an ethernet card in your pc in addition to your cable modem.

I did a fresh install of dapper FL6 on a machine last night and was able to see my usb cable modem as eth1 and my network card as eth0.

I was then able to activate eth1 (the cable modem) with the following:

sudo /sbin/modprobe usbnet
    sudo /sbin/modprobe cdc-acm

NOTE: these commands did _not_ work for me on breezy. Breezy saw only one eth device which was my network card, and I could not get the cable modem to function.

Then I followed the steps in this thread to setup iptables, and voila, all of the machines on my network (windows and linux) on the same hub were able to direct connect to the internet by using the newly installed machine as a router.

The steps in this thread have you set the cable modem eth device to use DHCP to establish ip, in other words it obtains the ip from your isp, and you set the network card to a static ip for the other comps on your network to use.

Brilliant.

-rcmiv

Beans

Red face Re: Howto Share internet connection

Um, okay, I have a weirder situation...
    ___________________-> Dads Windows PC
    ADSL modem -> router
    ___________________-> My Ubuntu PC -> My Windows PC
    I did this guide and the net works through all pcs no problem. My Windows PC can share files with my Ubuntu PC. My Ubuntu PC can share files between my dads PC and my Windows PC. My Dads PC can share files with my Ubuntu PC. However, my Dads PC cannot reach my Windows PC, or vice versa.
    Is there something else I need to add onto this?

Beans

Hi all,
    i was wondering if any of you guys had tried a similar approach to this using a bridge/firewall (server install of ubuntu with shorewall) on the linux box that shares the connection;
    i have successfully set up a router/firewall with a linux box but i need a few pointers with a bridge setup, i have tried it but i think i got it wrong because i could not see the internet from behind the bridge i followed the instructions in the shorewall pdf but no joy

any suggestions
    If everything in life was easy, we would learn nothing!!
    AMD Athlon64 X2(4200)/6Gb/Nvidia 9400GT-1Gb/1.25Tb Arch Linux - Xfce

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi,

I did these steps and my computer with windows cant access the internet... just some sites like Google. For example, i cant access www.globo.com... but i can ping this site.

In the another computer (with linux) i can access any site without problems. So, what i did wrong?

My network is like this:

Linux (computer with adsl and 2 network cards)
    eth0
    ip: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
    gateway: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

eth1
    ip: 192.168.0.1
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Windows
    eth0
    ip: 192.168.0.2
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    gateway: 192.168.0.1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

What does your routing table on Linux look like? And can you run a tracert to say google.com on your windows box?

From linux:
    Code:
    route -nv
    From windows:
    Code:
    tracert google.com
    And does your ADSL have NAT?
    Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

Beans
    Hidden!

Result of route -nv
    Code:
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
    201.14.143.254  0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 ppp0
    192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth1
    169.254.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0 eth0
    0.0.0.0         201.14.143.254  0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 ppp0
    I just tried to access some sites in my windows machine and now its just working fine

I dont know why wasnt working before... btw, when i restart my computer i need to run "pon dsl-provider" in the terminal... and i configured to start in boot. How can i fix it?

Ah, i forgot to say... my modem is bridge... this will afect something?
    Last edited by pjebr; April 29th, 2006 at 12:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Hey this is my problem i have a home computer which runs breezy and it has an eth card which a cable goes to a 7 port hub then i have a computer which i just made which also has a cable going to the hub and it runs breezy 2 and the home computer has a ktx extenal dial up modem which connects to computer via serial port and i would like to share internet any1 no how i would do it and i dont no the ip address or anything of any of the computers can some1 help me
    This is the dumbest error I found in bios
    "Error Keyboard Failure Press F1 to continue or DEL to enter setup
    Amd Athlon 64 2800+, 1gb Ram, ATI Radeon HD3650 512mb, Western digital 160gb Segate 80gb, Gigabyte GaK8NS ,Cameron

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by anaoum
    Hello,

On your winxp machine configure it with a static ip (make it similar to the ip on your server. eg if server ip is 192.168.0.1, then make your ip 192.168.0.10). Also make sure that you set the "Default Gateway" and "Preffered DNS" to the ip on your ubuntu machine (the one that's sharing the internet connection). It should work fine after that.

Good luck

Hello

Kinda still new on this so i hope ud help me as well on this.

Im connected to a wifi/DSL line with gives me a Dynamic IP to my ubuntu (internet sharing server). I followed the earlier post and it did installed everything i hope.

This Ubuntu PC connects to the internet nicely but my Winxp and other Linux PC wont have any access yet. Probably still having problems with what is the right settings I should set up on those workstations?

My eth1=connects to the DSL (set to DHCP), Default gateway
    eth0= connects to the LAN network (set to DHCP)

what should I set in for the Winxp Lan card?
    How can I get /validate the DNS server and or the Gateway?

Thanks a lot! hope this post is understandable...

mybers

Beans

hi!!! to tell you the truth, i don't have that much knowledge in networking so please explain to me in simple terms with regards to my problem. i hope you can help me with this.here it is.

we set-up a LAN in our office but the Internet service provider only gave us 1 ip add so the entire network is using only 1 ip add. Now, my boss wanted each pc to have a unique ip add. I tried to reconfigure the router but the result is i cant connect to the internet..

what is the step by step procedure in configuring the router so that each pc can have its own ip add...?

pls help!!!

thanks!!

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast