Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto Share internet connection

Beans

Re: Howto Share internet connection

Quote Originally Posted by nicholaspaul
    Oh wait a minute - should ethX be the interface that gets x86 the internet, or the one I'm sharing with?
    When executing this command : # iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ethX -j MASQUERADE

You should use ath0 instead ethx, as it is the network interface that your internet connection is comming from.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Howto Share internet connection

Well, i have this big problem. I set up my Ubuntu Pc ( wich has two network cards, one for the internet(eth0) and one for my other XP Pc(eth1)) with masqurade from a forum (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/) but still can't get the xp to get to the internet. Then i saw this forum. Much easyier. But, i cannot download the dnsmasq or the other mentioned file in the tuttorial. Can someone please explain me where to download how to install the files and can the setup i made before get in the way of getting the other computer to the internet. Please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Right. Tried all that. Didn't work, though I appreciate your efforts.

Here's my problem. I run Ubuntu and the wife runs XP. We have one wired cable internet connection. We want to share it. I naively thought that buying a switch would simply give me some and her some. Well, whichever computer boots forst gets the connection and the other has none (although XP states "limited connectivity but doesn't connect to anything").

So I looked here. I first ran Firestarter. Great but you cannot have eth0 as both "internet connected Device" and "local network connected device". It instead detects something called sit0 that it promptly says is not ready. I can't find any onformation on how to make it ready.

I installed samba: no change.

Then I tried this handy thread. It assumes that you can have a static IP address. I apparently cannot: as soon as I set a static IP address (192.168.0.1) and the (255. thing follows automatically), I lose the internet, even after reboot. If I change it back to DCHP it works immediately.

SO the question is: how do I get the XP box to access the internet when I am accessing it on ubuntu?

My connection goes like this:

cable modem --- switch --- ubuntu + XP

Beans

Hello,

You have got this set up completely wrong. It is ment to be:

Cable Modem >> Ubuntu >> Switch >> XP

And you must make sure that your ubuntu pc has two network interfaces (one to the modem, and another to the switch).

The way you are currently trying to set up, you could simply use a router instead of a switch:

Cable Modem >> Router >> XP + Ubuntu

This is a lot easier(no need to install any client software), however you must purchase a Router.

Tell me which configuration you would prefer and i can help you out...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stole_mkd
    Well, i have this big problem. I set up my Ubuntu Pc ( wich has two network cards, one for the internet(eth0) and one for my other XP Pc(eth1)) with masqurade from a forum (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/) but still can't get the xp to get to the internet. Then i saw this forum. Much easyier. But, i cannot download the dnsmasq or the other mentioned file in the tuttorial. Can someone please explain me where to download how to install the files and can the setup i made before get in the way of getting the other computer to the internet. Please.
    Make sure you have set up your repositories correctly: http://help.ubuntu.com/starterguide/...addinguniverse

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by anaoum
    Hello,

You have got this set up completely wrong. It is ment to be:

Cable Modem >> Ubuntu >> Switch >> XP

And you must make sure that your ubuntu pc has two network interfaces (one to the modem, and another to the switch).

The way you are currently trying to set up, you could simply use a router instead of a switch:

Cable Modem >> Router >> XP + Ubuntu

This is a lot easier(no need to install any client software), however you must purchase a Router.

Tell me which configuration you would prefer and i can help you out...
    NOW I see!

However, there is only one ethernet entrance to the inux machine.

I tried it with the USB entrance but although it recognised a "eth1", it did not work under static or DHCP.

Beans

So now you have two options:

1. Buy a new Ethernet card for your ubuntu pc.

2. Buy a router.

I think a router is much simpler to set up. however buying a new ethernet card is cheaper...

it's your decision...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

So now you have two options:

1. Buy a new Ethernet card for your ubuntu pc.

2. Buy a router.

I think a router is much simpler to set up. however buying a new ethernet card is cheaper...

it's your decision...
    Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks anyway. think I'll do a bit of searching to see if I can use the USB port for the modem before splashing out $140!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hatstand
    Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks anyway. think I'll do a bit of searching to see if I can use the USB port for the modem before splashing out $140!
    A free ethernet card shouldnt be that hard to find, and even if you were to buy one, it wouldnt cost much more than $15.

A router is a little more expensive, but not as expensive as $140. You should be able to find one for about $50.

Check out:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

and
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Good luck!

Beans

Make sure you have set up your repositories correctly: http://help.ubuntu.com/starterguide/...addinguniverse
    Well, i tried that, didn't work, reinstalled it, and did that again, didn't work. I have another information that i didn't shared before. If i don't add these lines there is no internet. In order that i add them:
    1. ifconfig eth0 down hw ether 00:0B:6A:9A:FA:AE
    2.ifconfig eth0 up
    3.route add default gw 172.19.0.1 dev eth0

after that i have internet, but the XP still does not have internet.

Need some help. PLEASE.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast