Thread: Login not working

Beans

Login not working

so i turn off my laptop and many hours later boot up and now my un/pw doen't not work in the login window. and yes i know im typing it correct and my keys arent sticky and no caps lock and such. only thing thats changed is i have ubuntu set to automatically d/l all updates and i have all the proposed ones enabled so there were a couple today that were ready to install but i have no idea what they were but can that even cause my login info to not work? i dont even know where to begin to fix this issue because it would be nice to have use of my OS but now im stuck booting into the xp partition, good thing i didnt go all in with ubuntu. anyone have ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Login not working

64-Bit User-Group // Twin-View AMD64 X2 6000+|Geforce 9500GT 1024 MB|8GB PC2-6400 DDR2|500GB Seagate SATA // AMD64 X2 4400+|Geforce 8600GTS |4GB PC2-6400 DDR2|360GB Samsung SATA // Ubuntu 9.04 & 9.10 64-Bit

Beans

that almost worked fine and well till this part..

11. Type in passwd <username>. Set your password.
    after i typed in "passwd darussian12" and pressed enter new line came up saying "enter new unix password" i started typing and after the first key pressed it dropped to next line to confirm w/o me entering anything or hitting any keys and i didnt see anything typed in the lines and then dropped down on own to a line saying sorry your password does not match. what the heck? ive got this sinking feeling im going to be breaking something before i fix it.

how does this happen. cause i promise you i didnt forget my un/pw since its the same all around.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I think that the problem is with your keyboard, have you tried with a different one?

Beans

its a laptop and it has no issues when im booted into xp, been stuck using that bloated OS since for some reason ubuntu wants to throw a fit trying to log into it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

If you can, connect a usb keyboard to your laptop and try to login with it...

Your laptop keyboard might not be linux compatible, although that might sound ridiculous, I've seen that happen.

Beans

its worked since last marchish time. so dont know what would have happened. the other pcs in home are all laptops so not really wanting to buy a usb keyboard just for this...ill see what i can find or borrow.

Beans

i figured it out...i deleted the ubuntu partition and extended my XP parition to take up the ubuntu one. works like a champ just like xp always has. i just wanted something better then a champ. ill give ubuntu a go the next time a do a reformat of hhd cause i have no desire to deal with something where something as basic as a keyboard isnt going to work. i know it did before in ubuntu but whats the point of reinstalling the os when i can just use the OS that works. ubuntu is something i have gone back and forth from each updated version and the last 2 havent convinced me to stick cause i somehow end up deleting ubuntu and sticking with xp. maybe the 3rd try will be better.