Thread: [SOLVED] Can I do a safe shutdown with the power button?

Beans

[SOLVED] Can I do a safe shutdown with the power button?

I'm wondering about setting Ubuntu Server to shutdown safely from the power button on the case.
    I had a linux based server package installed before and the following commands installed and set it up for me, will this do the same on Ubuntu Server? (with the sudo prefix of course)

Code:
    apt-get install acpid
    service acpid start
    This would be great, the noisey server is in an empty bedroom but people stay from time to time and I'm not always there to shut it down and rather than having to give other people the password etc.
    Clarkconnect Server (Red Hat)
    Dell Latitude D610 (Windows XP/Ubuntu 8.10)
    Gaming PC (Windows XP)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Can I do a safe shutdown with the power button?

AFAIK this comes by default with Ubuntu Server, my Ubuntu server does this. When I press the power button it beeps shortly and then shuts down safely.

However, if you're logged in in a Gnome session, it will prevent it from shutting down and show the log out dialog instead (I have no GUI on the server), though there might be a way to do it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Benedikt Bär - www.relamp.tk
    WARNING: Some commands can be harmful when executed, especially the ones starting with "rm". If you are in doubt what a certain command will do, please ask other members first before executing!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by grs View Post
    I'm wondering about setting Ubuntu Server to shutdown safely from the power button on the case.
    I had a linux based server package installed before and the following commands installed and set it up for me, will this do the same on Ubuntu Server? (with the sudo prefix of course)

Code:
    apt-get install acpid
    service acpid start
    This would be great, the noisey server is in an empty bedroom but people stay from time to time and I'm not always there to shut it down and rather than having to give other people the password etc.
    Hi

I hope I haven't misunderstood what you are trying to do but to shutdown you can type (In either term or another terminal (CTRL-ALT-F3 say))

sudo shutdown -h now (This shuts down the machine)
    sudo shutdown -r now (This restarts the machine)

You will of course be prompted for your password

Kind regards john
    Pax et bonum (Peace and all good) john
    Ubuntu user #18889

Beans

You have misunderstood me as I said above:-

I know how to shutdown with commands.
    My Ubuntu Server must not have acpid running as standard. I now have it installed and running fine. Thanks
    Last edited by grs; September 8th, 2008 at 04:06 PM.
    Clarkconnect Server (Red Hat)
    Dell Latitude D610 (Windows XP/Ubuntu 8.10)
    Gaming PC (Windows XP)