Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gmail like a stand alone application (no address bar etc.!)

Beans

Re: Gmail like a stand alone application (no address bar etc.!)

Hey, I use Gmail in a Prism window to compose messages.
    Because I don't use the prism-gmail package, I have a bash script I made to handle all those little mailto: links. So To, Subject, And Body text should all work well.

It's attached in case anybody finds it helpful.
    1. First you need Mozilla Prism
    2. Then you need to open prism and create an app called "compose mail" (put in any other imformation the the boxes you feel like.).
    3. Save the compose-gmail.sh attachment somewhere and make it executable (right click > Properties> then 'Permissions' tab)
    4. In the Ubuntu main menu go System > Preferences > Preferred Applications and under Email go 'Custom' and enter the path to the script file. e.g /home/username/Templates/compose-gmail.sh %s the %s is important: it passes the email addresses to the script.

Hope it helps someone else. I love it 'cause now I can use GNOME-Do to email to my hearts content
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

When I click on a mailto link in my browser, it doesn't seem to launch and send with Prism Gmail. Do you think I missed a step?

Is the creation of the web app supposed to leave a link on the desktop?

Beans

Yeah, check the box to have a shortcut on your desktop. But you can delete that later.

Check that there is a folder called ~/WebApps/compose.mail@prism.app. Check that you have the script executable and that in the Preffered Apps it points to that script with the %s sign after it.
    I'm using Prism 0.9.. I guess there could be mishaps with older versions..

Hope this helps - keep posting if it doesn't

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm having trouble getting mailto links working with prism. I tried a few different configurations including Lightbreezes' script. That one didn't work for me at all unfortunately. I'm currently using the prism-google-mail app and I also tried it with an alternate webapp.js file from skrul.com.

I have a prism-google-mail option in the application list in FF3 but clicking mailto links only launches my inbox in prism. I'm guessing the mailto link is not triggering the launch of a compose window but I don't know if there is an error or if the functionality just doesn't exist in the webapp.

I've included the webapp.js from skrul, if anyone is able to help me out it would be appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Sorry crysys I had a look at webapp.js.txt but I didnt really get it.. I'll have a better look later.
    If you want to try my script again the only thing I can think of is making sure the script is executable, that %s is in the mailto in preffered apps, and that the name of the webapp is the same as in my script (~/WebApps/compose.mail@prism.app).

I don't know javascript... maybe you should have that script exeuctable as well? and maybe take of the .txt at the end?

Yeah and I guess just check the firefox preferences > applications > mailto:
    Last edited by Lightbreeze; November 12th, 2008 at 03:15 AM. Reason: more info

Beans

Reading your post it is not clear to me what the parameters need to be :

"2.Then you need to open prism and create an app called "compose mail" (put in any other imformation the the boxes you feel like.)."

I can't leave them empty if I feel like it, can I ?

Do I need to "about:config" Firefox's mailto handler?

Can you give a more explicit direction to the whole procedure?
    I do not want to follow the "how-to-geek" since his script forces me to use Firefox instead of a already present Prism Gmail app.

Beans

BTW I do use the prism-gmail package.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Lightbreeze View Post
    Hey, I use Gmail in a Prism window to compose messages.
    Because I don't use the prism-gmail package, I have a bash script I made to handle all those little mailto: links. So To, Subject, And Body text should all work well.

It's attached in case anybody finds it helpful.
    1. First you need Mozilla Prism
    2. Then you need to open prism and create an app called "compose mail" (put in any other imformation the the boxes you feel like.).
    3. Save the compose-gmail.sh attachment somewhere and make it executable (right click > Properties> then 'Permissions' tab)
    4. In the Ubuntu main menu go System > Preferences > Preferred Applications and under Email go 'Custom' and enter the path to the script file. e.g /home/username/Templates/compose-gmail.sh %s the %s is important: it passes the email addresses to the script.

Hope it helps someone else. I love it 'cause now I can use GNOME-Do to email to my hearts content
    The compose-gmail.sh file linked to in the quote above has some problems and doesn't work in general. After working on it a while, I came up with the following simplified version that works for me:

TOMAIL=`echo $1 | sed 's/mailto://' | sed 's/?subject=/\&su=/g' `

TOURL="https://mail.google.com/mail?view=cm&tf=0&to="

echo "[Parameters]
    id=compose.mail@prism.app
    name=Compose Mail
    uri=$TOURL${TOMAIL}
    icon=webapp
    status=false
    location=false
    sidebar=false
    navigation=false
    trayicon=false" > /home/colin/.webapps/compose.mail@prism.app/webapp.ini

prism -override "/home/colin/.webapps/compose.mail@prism.app/override.ini" -webapp compose.mail@prism.app

To make it work for you, just replace both instances of "/home/colin" with your home name. In step 2, leave everything blank except fill in the name "compose.mail" and checkmark to put the icon on your desktop. Delete that icon after creating it. The reason you can leave everything blank is that the script fills in the blanks each time it runs - that's how it's able to open a different web location each time to include all the information in the email link you are clicking on.

Along the way, I had also upgraded to the beta version of prism, but that may not be necessary. Here is a link to the prism wiki where you can get the beta version: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Prism

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12