I'm new to the forums (and relatively new to Linux). I also tend to be a little on the curious side, and discovered the Resolution Center.

I was reading some of the posts in the forum, and ran across this one: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=910156

So I went back to the original post and read through it. The moderator who closed the discussion had earlier offered an opinion in that same discussion, and from what I read, the overall discussion was relatively tame as flamewars go.

The role of the moderator is important, and I absolutely agree that, appropriately applied, they need to have the powers specified in the Code of Conduct.

I wonder if there should be a guideline, however, that they should not close a discussion in which they have participated. If they feel that a discussion should be closed, and they participated, then they should review the discussion with another moderator who has not participated in the discussion and that moderator should close the discussion.

A second suggestion would be that if a discussion is to be closed (and it's not urgent to do so), the moderator should advise that they would like to close the discussion, including their reasons. This might allow interested participants to provide some feedback (or final comments) and the moderator could close the discussion. Clearly if the discussion has degenerated into violations of Forum Code of Conduct, then the discussion should be closed immediately.

Just a couple of thoughts that might resolve some valid issues that I'm seeing as a new participant.

Hope this helps,