Thread: What does CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-F12 do?

Beans

What does CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-F12 do?

I wanted to assign a shortcut to CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-F12 and immediately after hitting the keys my screen went black with a blinking cursor in the top left corner. I had to use ALT-PrntScrn-REISUB to reboot my computer (Ubuntu Hardy) What happened?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: What does CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-F12 do?

The shift key was irrelevant. Ctrl-Alt-F1 through Ctrl-Alt-F6 give you six text TTY terminals. Ctl-Alt-F7 gives you the GUI TTY, and the higher F keys give you unused terminals. So all you had to do was Ctrl-Alt-F7 to get back.

Actually, in the text-mode terminals, Alt-F7 will do - you don't need the Ctrl.
    Last edited by The Cog; September 6th, 2008 at 09:45 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    The shift key was irrelevant. Ctrl-Alt-F1 through Ctrl-Alt-F6 give you six text TTY terminals. Ctl-Alt-F7 gives you the GUI TTY, and the higher F keys give you unused terminals. So all you had to do was Ctrl-Alt-F7 to gt back.

Actually, in the text-mode terminals, Alt-F7 will do - you don't need the Alt.
    Ok, thanks. I didn't have a clue, I didn't know that Ctrl-Alt-F7 would get me back and I wouldn't have guessed it...

MountainX is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    The shift key was irrelevant.
    Maybe not. If compositing is enabled ALT-SHIFT-F12 toggles compositing. This can be very handy if a laptop doesn't properly resume from being suspended, as I just found out.
    Desktop: KX Studio (Kubuntu 12.04)
    Laptop & Netbook: Kubuntu 12.04
    Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Phone: Nexus 4 Cyanogenmod

Beans

Is there a guide available that shows all the Ctrl-Alt combinations possible with X-windows?
    ------
    Windows7x64 :: ASUS P5K-E :: ASUS Nvidia 8600 GT :: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz :: 4GB DDR2-800 :: 120GB SSD + 300GB RAID 1 :: Linux user since 1992