Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What OS/Distros have you installed and used?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: What OS/Distros have you installed and used?

Quote Originally Posted by bonzodog
    where to start?
    Sinclair Spectrum 48k (used to write progs on it in BASIC)
    Commodore 16
    Oric 48K
    Commodore Plus/4
    Commodore 64
    Commodore PET
    Amstrad Word processor running CP/M
    PC running DOS 5.0 (I think?)
    Windows 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98se, Me, 2000, XP.
    Linux -
    Caldera 1.3
    Redhat 6.0
    Slackware 7.0, 9.0, 9.1, 10.0, 10.1
    Mandrake 7.0, 9.1, 9.2, 10.0 64 bit.
    Suse 9.3Pro 64 bit
    Debian 3.0
    Slamd64 10.2
    Knoppix 3.0
    Slax 3.0
    and finally..Ubuntu 5.10 x86_64
    Wow, I would like to ask bonzodog his opinion of Ubuntu compared to other Linux distributions he has tried.

Myself, I have used MS-DOS 5.0, Win 3.1, Win 95, Win98, Win98SE, Win 2k (at work), Win XP, and I did play around with Mandrake 9.2 for a while.

Right now I only have Ubuntu Breezy 5.10 on this computer but there are other family members in the house using Win XP. My little 6 yr old girl likes the games on Ubuntu. I just plain like it for everything. I guess I am not into the kind of games that you need Windows for. I just like Ubuntu cuz it is a nice OS with lots of possibilities.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Commadore 64
    Dos (Hell if I remember what version)
    Windows 3.1
    Windows 95
    Windows 98
    Windows 2000
    Windows XP

Mandrake (Multiple versions)
    Red Hat 9
    Slackware (Multiple versions)
    Suse (Multiple versions)
    Fedora (Multiple versions)
    Debian
    Ubuntu (Used since Warty)

I think that's it.... Ubuntu is by far my favorite. Everything else is nice, but I love apt too much, and Ubuntu makes it easier to just get running than Debian. Ubuntu made it really easy to stop dual-booting with Windows XP too.
    Last edited by Orunitia; November 17th, 2005 at 01:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Windows - 95, 98, ME, 2000 Pro, 2000 Datacenter server, XP Home, XP Pro, XP Corporate
    Linux - Slax, DSL, Ubuntu, Debian, Mepis, Fedora
    Mac - System 7, OS8, OS9

Opinions on them: Well, windows XP is accually quite nice, except for the fact it gives me little "Reminders" in the corner. Every 5 minutes it tells me my D drive is running low on space. I KNOW ALREADY! And its slow. Windows 2000 is faster and quite stable, though ive had some little problems. It is odd that pro takes up 800 MB of space, yet datacenter server costs 15,000$ and only has some 100 MB of extra stuff. Pah. Ubuntu is nice, my linux of choice. Fedora was also good, but yum was horrible and it didnt work with my sound. Then again, ubuntu sometime works and sometimes doesent work with my sound. Odd.
    Last edited by xequence; November 17th, 2005 at 02:15 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

MS operating systems:
    DOS, versions 4-whatever the newest one was - solid. The best OS in terms of doing what it should and not crashing that MS has ever put out

Windows 3.1, 95, 98, NT, 2000, ME, XP, 2003 Server - the windows infrastructure for domains/networking is great. Desktop sucks, IMO.

Does Microsoft BOB count? - Very, very laughable.

Mac OS 8-tiger - OS 8 and 9 were pretty good, but OSX took the Mac to all new levels. It's amazing to work with, just not as versatile as I like.

Unix/Linux distributions:
    Freebsd, every major version since 4 - Easy to install once you understand the partitioning. A beast to configure, though. Get it up and running and it's worth it.

Solaris 8-10 - Very stable, not so versatile. Definitely one to try though. Has a lot of features that make it great for servers.

Slackware - Fantastic. Development is a little slow nowadays, but that's understandable.

Red Hat 4-9 - Once great, now just too..... something. Don't care for it.

Mandrake 5-10 - NEVER liked it. Too candy-coated for my tastes.

Gentoo - Quite a learning experience. Takes some time to install, and to update, but quite speedy and stable if you know what you're doing.

SUSE 9, 10 - Easily my second favorite distro. They have the most polished and professional look of any OS in my opinion.

Fedora (all versions) - OK, but not my thing. Yum is a beast, and apt4rpm isn't as good as regular apt.

Debian (Woody, Sarge, Sid) - If you are proficient at Ubuntu and want to see its roots, try this out.

Knoppix (don't remember versions) - Good but I didn't think it was different enough from Debian to bother deviating.

Gnoppix (don't remember versions) - ditto above. Haven't tried it since it was based on Ubuntu.

Mepis (don't remember versions) - Great, but the community wasn't as friendly

DSL - It's damn small.

LFS - Want to REALLY learn Linux? Do this.

Corel (anybody remember this one?) - I can't say what I think about Corel Linux without getting this thread moved to the Backyard.

Caldera - Don't remember it much.

Linspire/Lindows - OK, but having to pay to use the flagship package manager had me uninstalling it in a hurry.

Xandros - Great for the new user who wants to browse/check email, but don't try to change anything.

Blag - Based on RedHat, with a political agenda. Great for those who want to take over the world

And of course Ubuntu (all versions): I use it on everything. After using all of these listed, it's still my favorite OS. Breezy has more problems than the past versions, but it's still my favorite. Best mix of ease of use, customizability (if that's a word) and power.

Beans

snip
    Last edited by sean.smithson; June 17th, 2006 at 12:39 AM.

Iandefor is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Where to begin....
    All of the Macintosh Operating Systems from 7.5 on (Excepting Tiger), DOS 3, DOS 6, Windows 3.11, all the Windows 9.x's, Windows XP Professional, BEOS Personal R5 (Yeah, I'll admit it. It's kinda fun to play with, but forget about using it for everyday stuff). I've also used a few floppy-based distr/os, just to see what they were like; on that front, I've used Tomsrtbt and Basiclinux, as well as a few experimental operating systems like v_2OS and menuet. I've also used Knoppix, DSL, Vectorlinux, Xandros, and, most recently, Ubuntu. On the whole, of all of those distr/os, my absolute favorite is Ubuntu (Then again, the majority of the competition is mostly experimental or just plain crap). I've noted that Breezy on my computer, no matter what anyone says, works just as poorly as Hoary (Poorly because this is legacy hardware- no matter what, Ubuntu will not run properly with only 64 megabytes of RAM - thankfully, i might be getting a newer, better computer soon. Yay!)
    This space intentionally left blank.

Beans
    Hidden!

best first impressions:
    • ubuntu hoary
    • ubuntu breezy
    • guadalinex 2004 (very good live/install distro inspite of hardly anyone knowing it.. new releases are based on Ubuntu).
    • xandros3deluxe

others:
    • dos (used but didnt install it)
    • windows 3.1 (same)
    • windows 95
    • windows 98
    • windows me
    • windows 2000
    • windows xp home/pro
    • xandros1
    • xandros2
    • xandros2.5business
    • mandrake10
    • ubuntu warty
    • kubuntu hoary
    • kubuntu breezy
    • knoppix 3.x
    • slackware 10
    • aurox 10
    • suse 8
    • suse 9
    • redhat7
    • damnsmalllinux
    • debian 3 woody
    • slax
    • yoper (my worst overall.experience with ANY Operating System)

there may be more, but i dont remember.
    Last edited by bored2k; November 17th, 2005 at 04:49 AM.
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

poptones Guest

Does it count if you wrote them?

I wrote a 6502 FORTH interpreter and OS in a notebook (at the time I didn't even have a computer) when I was a teen and "ported" it to the TRS80 model 4's (ie the Z80) when I got a "real job" as an engineer. Amazingly, it actually worked as intended.

Anyone else remember the days of diy operating systems and wire wrapped home computers? Anyone remember VMS? I had a friend with a MicroVax in his living room... he "gave it all up" when he got married and moved to the Phillippinnes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Used:

MS-DOS: 3.3, 5.0, 6.0, 6.2
    Windows: 3.1 (doesn't count, as it was really a GUI on top of MS-DOS 6.2), 95, 98, ME (the friggin' NADIR of computerdom,and the only one I've installed), 2000, XP
    GNU/Linux: SuSE 9.1 Personal (yuk), Ubuntu (Warty, Hoary, Breezy). Live CDs: Ubuntu, SuSe 9.1, Knoppix, DamnSmallLinux, Slax.

Beans

Red face Re: What OS/Distros have you installed and used?

microsoft
    MS-DOS 5.1
    MS-DOS 6.0
    windows 3.1
    windows 3.11
    windows 95
    windows 98
    windows ME *shudder*
    windows XP

linux - in the order that i used them
    mulinux
    redhat
    corel Linux - this was nice cause it had wordperfect for linux
    debian
    slackware
    mandrake - i liked this distro, i used quite a few versions
    suse
    xandros
    navynos
    vidalinux
    jollix
    gentoo
    yoper - eeww! those crufty fonts
    fedora core - used this distro for a while also
    dyne:bolic
    ubuntu - my current favorite
    elive - i use this also

the sad thing is that i still have all of these cd's that i downloaded and burnt.
    I WAS BORN READY!

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast