Thread: Help with burning the iso in mac 9.2

Beans

[solved] Help with burning the iso in mac 9.2

So im in a time warp because i was dumb and didnt keep a copy of ubuntu handy. Bascially what i need to do is make a PC (not Mac) livecd so that i can get a unit i just built up and running....the down side is the only computer i have that works is a old school clamshell ibook running os 9.2. Im downloading the proper 32bit PC iso right now, but how do i make the disk and not have problems with it when i throw it in my pc?

thanks is advance for any help you guys can provide!

p.s. is there a way to just hit a button and mark a topic as solved?
    Last edited by aftertwilight; September 9th, 2008 at 12:30 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Help with burning the iso in mac 9.2

Make sure that the download is good before you burn it, check the md5sum - that's on this page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

Check the cd for defects after you've burnt it, use the menu you get when cd boots.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by aftertwilight View Post
    So im in a time warp because i was dumb and didnt keep a copy of ubuntu handy. Bascially what i need to do is make a PC (not Mac) livecd so that i can get a unit i just built up and running....the down side is the only computer i have that works is a old school clamshell ibook running os 9.2. Im downloading the proper 32bit PC iso right now, but how do i make the disk and not have problems with it when i throw it in my pc?

thanks is advance for any help you guys can provide!
    It shouldn't be an issue. an image file will be burned to the disc without regard to the architecture type (or at least it shouldn't care).

Beans

Well thanks folks for the help! I thought id be ok but wanted to be sure....sadly mac os doesnt seem to think the iso is a disk image, and there for wont let me burn it. Any ideas on how to get around this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

If you can somehow just get grub bootloader running on the pc, then use the mac to copy the .iso file (of the server or alternate install cd, not the desktop) to a usb stick with hd-media installer images, that should work. I assume the mac is capable of just copying files to external.

Or you could order a cd from ubuntu.

Beans

thanks everyone for your help. I ended up downloading it in os9 and then storing it on my ipod because disk copy didnt recognize it as a legitimate disk image. Luckly i had an old copy of the ppc live cd and was able to burn it off my ipod using that live cd on the same mac.