Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Best KDE Distribution

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Best KDE Distribution

IMO, Freespire
    If someone tells you to sudo rm -rf ANYTHING, then DO NOT DO IT!

Don't run any command with rm in it unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing.

Beans

Yea, I actually have a copy of the paid/enterprise version of Freespire (Linspire 5.0) and I think that its really over simplified. I'm a linux power user so I want something a little more extreme and has some more freedoms.

[Edit]
    I am running Kubuntu 6.10 on VMWare atm. Really testing it out, found synaptic in the repo, happy about that.
    Last edited by maddog39; November 30th, 2006 at 02:09 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by maddog39 View Post
    Yea, I actually have a copy of the paid/enterprise version of Freespire (Linspire 5.0) and I think that its really over simplified. I'm a linux power user so I want something a little more extreme and has some more freedoms.
    If you like KDE, there is nothing to stop you from changing the /etc files in the distro of your choice, although in distros like Ubuntu it can be a drag as the config files can reside in fifteeen different places.

Try Slackware, if you are a power user you will love it. )

Beans

I tried slackware but the installer wont work. I always get errors that it cant find any hard drives when I try to start fdisk/cfdisk even when I specify a specific location of the drive, still wont work. Been wanting to install slackware for ages. Was condsidering gentoo possibly.

[Edit]
    FYI, I've been a GNOME user since I started using linux and only used 1 KDE distro before that now doesnt support my keyboard which renders it useless. But want to make the move to KDE again.

Beans

I tried slackware but the installer wont work. I always get errors that it cant find any hard drives when I try to start fdisk/cfdisk even when I specify a specific location of the drive, still wont work. Been wanting to install slackware for ages. Was condsidering gentoo possibly.

[Edit]
    FYI, I've been a GNOME user since I started using linux and only used 1 KDE distro before that now doesnt support my keyboard which renders it useless. But want to make the move to KDE again.
    The installer does work if you know what you are doing.

It's apparent from your response that you didn't get the setup so use something else, HEY, slackware is not for everyone.

Gentoo makes little sense to me, following instructions and then watching code flying by for hours, what is the point of that? to get a firefox that starts one thousand of a seccond faster? and then you get to update your system, only takes 48 hours when you can hardly use your computer, bad driver hangs and you start over.

I would be glad to help you through a Slackware install if you can contact me in another way.

Beans

Okay, as far as I know I understand everything very clearly although not very familiar with command line disk tools. Well anyway, I have AIM and MSN, would love to have slackware working. I dont dual boot anymore so no problems there. Raw boot should be fine.

Beans

Okay, as far as I know I understand everything very clearly although not very familiar with command line disk tools. Well anyway, I have AIM and MSN, would love to have slackware working. I dont dual boot anymore so no problems there. Raw boot should be fine.
    If you can use another machine, i will help you to do it via AIM or MSN. )

Slackware install on a fairly new PC takes about 5-15.

that is if you got space so you can use full install, that is about 800MB.

Beans

My PC is very new, custom builtm Pentium D 930 w/ 1GB RAM.

MSN: admin.maddog39 [(at)] gmail [(dot)] com

MSN is my primary.

Beans

My PC is very new, custom builtm Pentium D 930 w/ 1GB RAM.

MSN: admin.maddog39 [(at)] gmail [(dot)] com

MSN is my primary.
    It's the almost 3 in the morning here and i'm going to bed soon so i hope you are ok with us doing this in the morning. )

With that machine it will take a good five minutes to get it done.

;o)

I'll contact you when i get up in the morning, then whenever you think you have time or heh, whenever, just acknowledge me and say hi.

Beans

Well i've got school so just add me to your buddy list and i'll contact you whenever your on and i am ready/have the time.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast