Thread: Monitoring computer usage

Beans

Monitoring computer usage

Hey guys. I've set up a computer for my kids to use with a shared login. Right now, it proxies through my Astaro Security Gateway, which filters websites and certain types of files. I'm looking to go further though, and monitor all e-mail and IM activity. Any ideas on how best to go about that?

Thanks
    Mike

Beans

Re: Monitoring computer usage

You can try bandwidth monitor to see the connections there making and setting up IM logging so everything they say can be later looked at.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

What do you mean by monitoring email and IM activity? Read every mail and conversation?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rogeriopvl View Post
    What do you mean by monitoring email and IM activity? Read every mail and conversation?
    That's exactly what I'd like to do.

Thanks

Beans

Egad...

Run the connection through a Squid proxy with some internet filtering (Dansguardian or Squidguard) and give your children a proper education. Spying on them is probably not a good idea.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well, I understand your point. But you should give your kids the right to privacy, unless of course you notice something suspicious.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well, I understand your point. But you should give your kids the right to privacy, unless of course you notice something suspicious.
    Definitely agreed. I'm only fourteen myself, but I do know some things about parenting, and constantly monitoring everything your kids do is a great way to distance your relationship and, if they're unaware you're doing it to them, betray their trust. But this is a question that I suppose is going to be answered sometime, even if it isn't answered here on UbuntuForums, so I suppose I'll just give you an answer.

If your computer and Ubuntu savvy you can encrypt your browser history and cache, which would make your children unable to erase their browser history. I'm not going to explain how to do this, as I'm not sure how it's done on Ubuntu myself. But I know it can be done on it, as it's possible on Windows and OS X. Here's a small guide on encrypting files. http://seifried.org/security/cryptog...hapter-10.html

If your not a technical know-it-all, you can try using a monitoring program, however most are not free. The only real thing I can think of that would show you everything your looking for would be a keylogger. It won't show you what your children are seeing, but it will show what they're typing. Try using something like LKL keylogger. (http://sourceforge.net/projects/lkl/). If that's not enough, you'll have to fine something else on your own.

Like I said earlier, I highly recommend you don't monitor everything they do, but it's not my call.
    Qloor.

Beans

I have noticed some suspicious activity related to one friend in particular. I've tried addressing it directly, but didn't get anywhere. I'll try the keylogger. I'll only need to do this for a short period, I hope.

Thanks for your replies.

Beans

wow, a parent that actually cares about his/her children... don't see that too often! personally, i think it's a great idea so as it's used properly. you still want to give them space but also know if something truely bad could happen. in other words, pick and choose your battles wisely.

keylogger is probably the easiest way to do it, but some of the other ideas are great too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

better to have computers for the children only in "public" places like living room... so they have to know that you can come anytime and check what you are doing.