Thread: Is this a good configuration for a gamer???

Beans

Is this a good configuration for a gamer???

hello all i want to buy a gaming pc wid these specifications nvidia 750I-SLI mother board,ge force-8600GT graphic card,intel core 2 duo 2.6 ghz proce,2gb ram is this a good conifguration for my system i play games very often(games like crysis,pro street).is it good?? or i hav to change any of these plzz suggest,suggestions are welcome.THANKS.

Beans

Re: Is this a good configuration for a gamer???

The 8600 GT is a huge waste of money. It's cost is relatively high and it's performance is crap. The 8xxx series was actually two generations ago (although the 8800 GT still is not a bad buy).

I couldn't recommend a P35 chipset more, specifically the GA-EP35-DS3L.

I assume when you say 2.6Ghz core 2 duo you are referring to the E6750. Don't get it. Go with the E8400 or E8500.

Don't forget to buy a quality PSU. Antec, Silverstone, Corsair, Seasonic are all excellent choices.

Basically you have chose all last generation hardware which is not practical when this generation's hardware is relatively the same cost.

You fail to mention the brand, speed, and timings of your RAM.

If you are from America use newegg links, from Canada use NCIX links, otherwise I couldn't tell ya what etailer to use.

Edit: you should also note that gaming doesn't go very well in Linux. Especially if you want the eye candy.

Edit 2: I just realized I was on the security boards. This couldn't be a worse place for this topic....
    Last edited by Titan8990; September 4th, 2008 at 06:43 PM.

Beans

I would recommend a better Nvidia Card, like the above said the 8800GT is good, but the 9800GT would be better.

If you want to play games and continue to do so for more than a month, grab a Core2Quad.

If you have the money of course.

Else have a look at the optimum specs for the games you want to play, and get a bit above that.
    -[Discipline] - Macbook Pro 5,3 - Intel Core2Duo 2.66Ghz, 4Gb RAM, Nvidia 9400M + 9600GT, 320Gb HDD, Mac OSX 10.7.1 Lion
    -Windows free since May 2007.

Beans

I would recommend a better Nvidia Card, like the above said the 8800GT is good, but the 9800GT would be better.
    IMO, with the 4870 being less than $200 there is absolutely no reason to get a 9800 GT unless you like wasting money. Nvidia does have better support for Linux but when it comes gaming performance I sacrifice nothing (which is why all my non-gaming machines run Linux and my gaming machine runs windoze).