Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Many Issues with KDE 4.x

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Many Issues with KDE 4.x

I have the latest KDE 4.x as of this morning when updates were pushed out. Over the past few months I've periodically looked at KDE to see if it is a solid product. I've seen many things I do like and many that I just can't stand and even more where I'm in the middle (could give or take on them).

When I started with KDE it was my opinion they were shooting themselves in the foot by delivering something (even in alpha/beta) that was as bad as it was. Yes, with the latest it has seriously improved but honestly I have to wonder in which direction. What I mean is that there are improvements but in many ways there were so many problems that were so visible that should have focused on those. It appears they have not. An example of this is the K menu. When you bring it up there are a ton of missing icons. Really, this is something that we work on day in and day out why would they not put representative icons in place? Another example would be when I download files via FF I tell it to save them to the desktop yet they are not there. Yet another is when I traverse folders many times they have this generic ? icon. What's up with that? If folders have icons and this folder is the same as all the others shouldnt' they all have the same icons?

Another difficulty is in finding my the volumes representing my other drives. I have several drives in this machine and I certainly would love to easily access those with the click of a mouse. It took forever to discover that I could see them in the dolphin file manager under this little tiny icon to the left of the name of the folder I was in. There has to be better more representative way to display the fact that I have more volumes.

I list a few more.

By now they should have put the Up button in Dolphin.

The little + symbol associated with each folder which is supposed to represent "select item" appears to do nothing at all.

The Desktop even though I have 3.25 gigs of RAM and an Athlon X2 6000+ with dual 8800gt 512mb video cards appears very choppy.

System monitor indicates I only have 1.1 gigs of RAM. As I stated above I have 3.25gigs.

System monitor indicates at times that I have X% of CPU usage yet when I have the list set to display all and sorted by CPU utilization it is often wrong. I can total the numbers up and they are always less than the total consumption that system monitors indicates is being used. For instance it was showing 63% CPU usage but when I view the tasks sorted by CPU usage it totaled 13%.

When I grab a window to drag around (Ubuntu 8.10 with latest updates running compiz). When I grab a window it can sit for a couple seconds before responding and when I move the mouse, the window will show a delayed movement and a jump.

The trashcan applet constantly tells me I have 55 items and provides me with the option to empty the trash. The problem is that it never resolves itself to 0 items.

With just 2 desktops if I hold down the button to switch desktops it will spin the desktops at a fast rate and then crash asking me of all things (and I find it laughable) to report that to KDE.

When I indicated that I wanted more than 2 desktops (4 total instead) it wouldn't update. It still only provides 2.

Lots of dialog boxes aren't sized properly and lots of check boxes are so improperly sized that a residual dots from wrap or sizing are displayed too.

There are far too many others to list here. I am just wondering where these guys are in their thought process. Are they aware that it is the visual aspect that we see first and that access to our folders, icons, and files is extremely important?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Many Issues with KDE 4.x

I'm not sure if KDE 4.1 is much good anyway. It's not very stable and I find that I've lost control of many of my laptop's audio controls, like the volumee buttons, etc. Very buggy in my opinion. I'm not even sure if I have KDE 4.1.1, although there was a major upgrade yesterday on my adept package manager, so I guess something has happened.

It looks stunning, but it's a right pain to use! And every time I start up and shut down, I hear this ridiculous piano flourish at full volume. Any idea of how to get rid of that?

4.1 is great, but I reckon more work needs to be done before I am entirely convinced.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't had a good experience with KDE 4, I'm new to it myself and haven't been having very many issues at all.

I agree it should be there by default, but it can be done by editing the toolbar settings.

The trashcan applet constantly tells me I have 55 items and provides me with the option to empty the trash. The problem is that it never resolves itself to 0 items.
    This is one issue I've been having too, it resolves itself if I empty the trash from the trash window in Dolphin but not if I do it directly from the widget. As a result, I've stopped using that widget.

I'm sorry I can't really help with the rest of your problems but I hope you figure them out.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I also hope that you are able to resolve your problems, as they seem to mostly be problems unique to your system. I have KDE 4.1.1 running on three machines in my house (including an EeePC), and I haven't experienced any of those problems. There are no icon issues at all.

Another example would be when I download files via FF I tell it to save them to the desktop yet they are not there.
    KDE 4 uses a different philosophy for the "desktop". Gone are the days of piling scattered files all over the desktop. This is something someone like me welcomes, as I always preferred an organized desktop with only a few, if any icons. If, however, you prefer to have the piles, fullscreen folderview will be implemented to allow you to have a more traditional desktop.

At any rate, you simply have to add a folderview plasmoid to your desktop that will display the desktop folder. Then you will see your downloaded files. If you still don't see them, there is something else wrong with your filesystem setup.

This is something that is really just your personal preference. By default, Dolphin comes in a very simplified configuration. Since they provide you with the means to easily add the up button, why complain?

When I indicated that I wanted more than 2 desktops (4 total instead) it wouldn't update. It still only provides 2.
    You indicated that you are using compiz, and that is probably where the problem lies. This does not exist with kwin. Compiz uses a different (gnome-like) method of representing virtual desktops than what KDE uses. This problem exists in KDE 3 as well, but there have been hacks that fix it. I'm sure those hacks will appear in KDE 4 as well. Since compiz is basically an add-on to desktop environments, IMO the fix should come from the compiz developers, not the KDE ones.

The Desktop even though I have 3.25 gigs of RAM and an Athlon X2 6000+ with dual 8800gt 512mb video cards appears very choppy.
    I'm assuming that 8800gt means that it's an Nvidia card. If so, the problems with the nvidia drivers have been well documented, and some workarounds do exist. This is something that Nvidia needed to fix with their drivers, and from what I've heard, the newest beta drivers have solved the problems.

Having stated what I mentioned above, it is important to know that each system setup is unique, and it is impossible for developers to know every anomaly that will occur with every system. As I mentioned, I have three very different systems all running KDE4 and have experienced none of your problems. I therefore recommend submitting bug reports to the appropriate places. Although your problems may have to do with your specific hardware, you might not be the only one, and a few people will benefit from any solutions that result from your help.

I wish I could be of more assistance to you. The important thing to remember about KDE 4 is that it does take a different approach to using a desktop. It takes getting used to, and some people simply won't like it. Free software has always been about choice, and that is why we have different desktop environments to choose.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Thrash can problem i have also, i empty it by going in thrash with dolphin and delete the files. Also nvidia give some problems here but not as much as some have. + symbol is working here no problems with it.

Are those problems still there if you don't use compiz? maybe compiz gives you some of the problems
    http://forum.kde.org/ for all question about KDE

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I took an update to 4.1.1a today. Everything now depends on MySQL server? Why the hell?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Cool Re: Many Issues with KDE 4.x

Quote Originally Posted by adibudeen View Post
    KDE 4 uses a different philosophy for the "desktop". Gone are the days of piling scattered files all over the desktop. [...] At any rate, you simply have to add a folderview plasmoid to your desktop that will display the desktop folder. Then you will see your downloaded files. If you still don't see them, there is something else wrong with your filesystem setup.
    No, KDE4 (which I'm using now on 2 boxen) doesn't use a desktop; it has a large application launcher, like a quicklaunch bar but not as useful, a largely non-functional widgets (plasmoids, bleurgh!). You don't have to "pile scattered files" on it to find it useful. For me it's always been a holding place allowing me to finish a task before deciding exactly where to file stuff, or to remove a download altogether if it was only needed transiently. KDE4's desktop-like interface is useless to me as it stands.

Folderview is just a poor replacement for having a file manager open in the background.

Beans

What's remarkable to me at this point is that there are still defenders of KDE 4.xx. It's been an abysmal failure from start to finish. To begin with, it was introduced prematurely, so buggy as to be unusable by any but the most hardened of computer geeks.

After that launch, the story was repeatedly told about how the developers knew that it wasn't ready for prime time and they just wanted more testers. Wait until version 4.1 and all will be wonderful.

Instead, 4.1 has brought more of the same.

KDE developers have decided to appeal to a small audience of users, people who want all sorts of eye candy, even if that means relinquishing ease of use and functionality.

The current version of 4.1.1 still doesn't permit keyboard shortcuts to work properly. Everything is mouse driven. And the customization process of making the panel look the way you want it to is still lacking.

These are just the tip of the iceberg. Konqueror still has major problems and even the migration from Kmail in 3.5.xx to 4.xx is so difficult as to be impractical again for all but the most savvy of users.

After using KDE for years, I recently switched to Xubuntu. Still I long for the days when developers actually tried to broaden the base of users instead of shrinking it. But KDE is an object lesson in how not to do that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ursus262 View Post
    I'm not sure if KDE 4.1 is much good anyway. It's not very stable and I find that I've lost control of many of my laptop's audio controls, like the volumee buttons, etc. Very buggy in my opinion. I'm not even sure if I have KDE 4.1.1, although there was a major upgrade yesterday on my adept package manager, so I guess something has happened.

It looks stunning, but it's a right pain to use! And every time I start up and shut down, I hear this ridiculous piano flourish at full volume. Any idea of how to get rid of that?

4.1 is great, but I reckon more work needs to be done before I am entirely convinced.
    KDE 4.1 has great potential. Many users have had no problems with it, while just as many seem to always have problems. Although it is an improvement over 4.0x, it is still unstable. If you run it, just be prepared to deal with whatever glitches may arise.
    Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit
    Intel Quad-Core @2.44ghz 4GB RAM
    GeForce 7900GTO
    1Terabyte diskspace (SATA)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by randcoop View Post
    The current version of 4.1.1 still doesn't permit keyboard shortcuts to work properly. Everything is mouse driven. And the customization process of making the panel look the way you want it to is still lacking.
    know problem that is being worked on, sometimes it takes a bit longer to solve it. If you know better then try to do it.

If its not ready stay on kde 3.5.10 you are not forced to use kde4. Seems to me you want to use bleeding edge but don't want to deal with the short comings if you use bleeding edge. Mostly people complain about something that is worked on already.
    http://forum.kde.org/ for all question about KDE

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast