Thread: crash when moving large file

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

crash when moving large file

Im having a problem moving a large (1.2 gig) .avi file. Im moving it to an external drive to another computer through a wireless network. I havent had any issues with moving files over the network before (moved several gigs of music without issues), but each tome i try this one nautilus, and what seems like all of gnome locks up and the transfer stops. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: crash when moving large file

Sometimes you need to leave Nautilus for a while until the transfer is complete. Also, have you checked that you have enough space on your external drive?.
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?" Having trouble compiling drivers in a different kernel?, Dual Boot Tutorial Ubuntu Hardware Support List

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I left it until conky showed that 2 gigs had been uploaded from this computer, and there is a few hundred gigs open on the external, so no problems there.

edit: also, conky showed that my RAM usage went from the usual ~500MB up to about 1.5 gigs as well as the first core of my processor staying at 100% usage if that helps.
    Last edited by dlm4849; September 4th, 2008 at 12:34 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Can you move a different file (with a similar size) using Nautilus?
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?" Having trouble compiling drivers in a different kernel?, Dual Boot Tutorial Ubuntu Hardware Support List