Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Fujitsu T1010 touchscreen and Kubuntu experience

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    2

    Fujitsu T1010 touchscreen and Kubuntu experience

    Hi all,

    I just got a Fujitsu lifebook T1010 tablet (http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com/...specs/t1010_ts) about a week ago. It's a great little machine for those who want a cheap tablet with an optical drive, and so immediately upon unboxing it I tried to install Kubuntu Hardy Heron.

    I had to install in safe graphics mode, which left me running a vesa driver with low resolution. In addition to video acceleration, the touchscreen and wifi weren't working. Other than that, however, the basics all seemed to be there out of the box, and it was at least a useable system. As a result, I set about seeing if I could get this new piece of hardware up and running as a fully functional tablet pc.

    It turns out there are solutions for the wifi (iwlwifi-5000-ucode-5.4.A.11), and ostensibly a solution for the GMA4500 video driver (although I haven't gotten to that one yet, as it involves a kernel upgrade from what I can tell). What I haven't been able to find is any kind of driver for the touchscreen, which is a passive resistance model rather than the more common active models that work with wacom drivers.

    A call to Fujitsu tech support resulted in claims that Fujitsu themselves manufactured the touchscreen, rather than buying it from a third party. The same representative, however, claimed that it was the exact same model used in the Stylistic 4120p, which later turned out to be less than completely accurate, as far as I can tell.

    Operating on the assumption that it was the same model, I installed the patched fpit driver referenced at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fu...tylisticST4000 and set it up as per those instructions, but to no avail. That's when I noticed I had an extra /dev/hidraw0 and /dev/usb/hiddev0 sitting around on my box. I tried cat-ing these, and determined that they both in fact spew output when I touch the screen, so I currently believe that the touchscreen in the T1010 communicates over USB rather than serial.

    Hopeful (and perhaps naive), I simply modified my xorg.conf to point to these devices instead of /dev/ttyS0 in the touchscreen section. This produced only random motion and clicks when the screen was touched, leading me to the conclusion that the T1010's touchscreen uses a different protocol for communicating events as well.

    This brings me to my current situation. It seems like it shouldn't be too hard for me to modify the patched xf86Fpit.c that I grabbed from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fu...tylisticST4000 in order to properly parse the data coming in over the usb device (either hidraw0 or hiddev0). The file in its default state is definitely getting input from the device and translating it to mouse events, it's just not translating properly.

    All I need to do is figure out what format the data is being sent in, and this is where I'm hoping against hope someone familiar with touchscreen drivers might come to my rescue and provide a few pointers.

    I have hex dumps of the data from hiddev0 via dog, but they are too large to attach to the message as text files, so I'm attaching a pared-down dump with only the hex data (no ascii equivalent, etc) and only part of the dump. It was generated by touching the stylus in the upper-left corner of the screen and dragging it along the top edge to the upper-right corner (although this dump will cut off before the upper-right corner is reached)

    I've noticed that if I treat FFFFFF as a delimiter, I get a common repeating sequence of
    Code:
    FFFFFF
    XXXX 0000 -- 3100 0100 - XXXX 0000
    4200 0D00 - 0100 0000 -- 4400 0D00 - 0000 0000
    3C00 0D00 - 0000 0000 -- 4500 0D00 - 0000 0000
    3200 0D00 - 0100 0000 -- 3000 0100
    FFFFFF
    XXXX 0000
    FFFFFF
    where XXXX represents a variable bit of hex. This is where I think I'm most likely to find coordinate information.

    The sequence isn't exactly repeating, however, and often I will find extra FFFFFF's or long sections with no FFFFFF's. If all the FFFFFF's are discarded I basically find:
    Code:
    XXXX 0000 -- 3100 0100 - XXXX 0000
    4200 0D00 - 0100 0000 -- 4400 0D00 - 0000 0000
    3C00 0D00 - 0000 0000 -- 4500 0D00 - 0000 0000
    3200 0D00 - 0100 0000 -- 3000 0100
    as the structure throughout the piece. I'll keep working on this, and post any progress I make (assuming this is the right place), but I wanted to give people a chance to tell me if I'm going about this wrong, or working on a problem that's already been solved.

    Regards,

    Stefan
    Attached Files Attached Files

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    2

    Talking Re: Fujitsu T1010 touchscreen and Kubuntu experience

    Alright, I think I have the data format. Or at least enough to try and cobble together a driver. As I said above, once you strip out the constant repeating patterns and the FFFFFF's, you get a lot of:

    Code:
    XXXX 0000 3100 0100 YYYY 0000
    seperated by the repeating patterns that were just stripped. The XXXX's are variable data, and represents the X position in a BIG-ENDIAN way, which is what initially threw me. The left-hand side of the screen for me is D900 and the right hand side is CB0E, based on a single test run with the stylus.

    As you may have guessed, the YYYY is the Y-axis data, also big-endian. The top of my screen is 6301 and the bottom of the screen is AC0F.

    Since this is a passive display and there are no buttons on the stylus, it seems to me that this gives me everything I need to handle mouse events. If no data is coming in, then mouse is up. When data starts, we have a mousedown at an absolute position. Then, and while data continues, we extract absolute coordinates from the stream and update the cursor position. When data stops, that's a mouseup. Should be relatively simple. I'll post here with the results of my attempts to modify fpit, unless anyone who reads this has a better idea for what I should do.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Beans
    4

    Re: Fujitsu T1010 touchscreen and Kubuntu experience

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanwulf View Post
    Alright, I think I have the data format. Or at least enough to try and cobble together a driver. As I said above, once you strip out the constant repeating patterns and the FFFFFF's, you get a lot of:

    Code:
    XXXX 0000 3100 0100 YYYY 0000
    seperated by the repeating patterns that were just stripped. The XXXX's are variable data, and represents the X position in a BIG-ENDIAN way, which is what initially threw me. The left-hand side of the screen for me is D900 and the right hand side is CB0E, based on a single test run with the stylus.

    As you may have guessed, the YYYY is the Y-axis data, also big-endian. The top of my screen is 6301 and the bottom of the screen is AC0F.

    Since this is a passive display and there are no buttons on the stylus, it seems to me that this gives me everything I need to handle mouse events. If no data is coming in, then mouse is up. When data starts, we have a mousedown at an absolute position. Then, and while data continues, we extract absolute coordinates from the stream and update the cursor position. When data stops, that's a mouseup. Should be relatively simple. I'll post here with the results of my attempts to modify fpit, unless anyone who reads this has a better idea for what I should do.
    Hello, I just got a T1010 and was wondering if you have made any progress on this.
    Thanks,
    Pencilo

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Beans
    88

    Re: Fujitsu T1010 touchscreen and Kubuntu experience

    I ordered a T1010 a few days ago. If I have an issues with the touch screen / resolutions I will be sure to post here

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Beans
    4

    Re: Fujitsu T1010 touchscreen and Kubuntu experience

    Quote Originally Posted by vertago1 View Post
    I ordered a T1010 a few days ago. If I have an issues with the touch screen / resolutions I will be sure to post here
    There are no existing drives for the T1010 touchscreen, however everything else worked out of the box(though you will need the 2.6.27 kernel because it adds the wifi support). If you need any help with getting it working, PM me.

    I guess since the OP hasn't responded, I will go write the drivers myself and post them here once I'm done.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Beans
    88

    Re: Fujitsu T1010 touchscreen and Kubuntu experience

    Quote Originally Posted by pencilo View Post
    There are no existing drives for the T1010 touchscreen, however everything else worked out of the box(though you will need the 2.6.27 kernel because it adds the wifi support). If you need any help with getting it working, PM me.

    I guess since the OP hasn't responded, I will go write the drivers myself and post them here once I'm done.
    I installed kubuntu 8.10 and performed a full update so far so good minus the touch screen. The wireless works but it will not connect to the PEAP network I use most of the time using the native driver just like my desktop which has an edimax card.

    I am still trying to get wacdump to display anything from /dev/hidraw0 or from /dev/usb/hiddev0. I certainly appreciate any effort towards a working driver and I don't mind contributing but I don't know where to start as far as writing drivers.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Beans
    4

    Re: Fujitsu T1010 touchscreen and Kubuntu experience

    Quote Originally Posted by vertago1 View Post
    I installed kubuntu 8.10 and performed a full update so far so good minus the touch screen. The wireless works but it will not connect to the PEAP network I use most of the time using the native driver just like my desktop which has an edimax card.

    I am still trying to get wacdump to display anything from /dev/hidraw0 or from /dev/usb/hiddev0. I certainly appreciate any effort towards a working driver and I don't mind contributing but I don't know where to start as far as writing drivers.
    I doubt wacdump will do anything with them, try using hexdump.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Beans
    88

    Re: Fujitsu T1010 touchscreen and Kubuntu experience

    Quote Originally Posted by pencilo View Post
    I doubt wacdump will do anything with them, try using hexdump.
    Hexdump works, thanks. Is there anything I could to to help speed up the driver writing process? For example, working on which bits mean what?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Beans
    4

    Re: Fujitsu T1010 touchscreen and Kubuntu experience

    Quote Originally Posted by vertago1 View Post
    Hexdump works, thanks. Is there anything I could to to help speed up the driver writing process? For example, working on which bits mean what?
    The posts by OP show how the data is, find out the max/min x and y of your screen.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Beans
    88

    Re: Fujitsu T1010 touchscreen and Kubuntu experience

    nvm, see next page
    Last edited by vertago1; March 16th, 2009 at 05:02 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •