Thread: Renaming Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Renaming Files

I've used Windows for years and decided to change. I'm enjoying Ubuntu and find that it's fairly easy going so far, although I have much to learn. There's one thing I can't seem to find...

In XP, if I left click twice on a file name, the file-name field will accept edits. With Ubuntu I have been right-clicking on the file, scrolling through a list to find "Rename...", and then click again. The way I'm accustomed to is faster. Is there a way to make that happen? I've searched around using the gconf-editor and can't find anything. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Renaming Files

right click the file then left click rename is the only way i know of.
    (desktop)OC'd 3.9Ghz Sempron 140 unlocked to dual-core Athlon II, 150GB Hard Drive, 320GB Hard Drive, 3GB Ram, ATI HD3450 256mb GPU.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bobsmith2 View Post
    I've used Windows for years and decided to change. I'm enjoying Ubuntu and find that it's fairly easy going so far, although I have much to learn. There's one thing I can't seem to find...

In XP, if I left click twice on a file name, the file-name field will accept edits. With Ubuntu I have been right-clicking on the file, scrolling through a list to find "Rename...", and then click again. The way I'm accustomed to is faster. Is there a way to make that happen? I've searched around using the gconf-editor and can't find anything. Thanks.
    A shorter way from right-clicking on the file would just be to right-click on the file to select it and press the F2 key and key-in the filename you want.
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

In other words, the Devs have decided that this feature is too "Windows-like" to implement. Just read through the launchpad bug page about this feature to see all the folks who are against this feature because "Windows does it". https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...lus/+bug/48671
    “Humanity must rise above the earth, to the top of the atmosphere and beyond. For only then will we understand the world in which we live.”
    -Socrates-
    http://www.overviewinstitute.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

It really is a shame that some users can't just accept the fact that sometimes Windows will figure out some trivial feature that makes file management a lot more streamlined. Honestly, would it amount to anything more than a more user friendly interface if a couple tiny time saving features made it into the OS? Sometimes a few elitists ruin a good thing for everyone else.

Beans

Personally, I hated that feature in Windows, but not because it belonged to Windows.

Let tired dogs rest.

Thread closed.
    Last edited by uRock; November 1st, 2010 at 12:30 AM.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]