Thread: cutumizing ubuntu help

Beans

cutumizing ubuntu help

ok im new to this but im comfortable with ubuntu i like it way better then windows like any os ubuntu will take a little while to bend it to ones will i understand that but i am a slow learner thank god for forums lol. i installed compiz fusion icon and emerald but i cant seem to figure it out can any one help me or point me in the right direction. i also was wondering is there like a alarm clock application or program that is available for it i dont own a alarm clock loud enough to wake me up so my computer use to when i had windows but i wont go back to microsoft if not i should be able to manage........ thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: cutumizing ubuntu help

Ok so first off. In ubuntu 8.04 Compiz come pre installed. To make sure it works go to System>Preferences>Appearance, then click the tab visual effects on the top of the window. Try setting it to normal or extra. If it works you will not get an error and you should see some basic effects.

If that works you need to install advanced desktop effects settings:
    use:
    sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

Now it should be under System>Preferences>Advanced Desktop Effects Settings.

There you go, hope it helped. If not feel free to PM me.

also you might want to check out:
    http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/0...in-ubuntu-804/

As for the alarm clock: Kalarm might work.
    Last edited by matdombrock; September 2nd, 2008 at 08:29 AM.

Beans

thank you very much i dont have the time to mess with the settings right now but believe me i will the alarm clock works great thank you i appreciate the help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

No problem. Glad I could help.

Beans

ok i just started messing with the settings and i did what you suggested but when i click on normal or extra setting i get the error does this mean that my vid card wont handel it