Thread: A Trick Partitioning Problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

A Trick Partitioning Problem

Hey Everyone,
    I've finally had it with Vista and would like to move back to ubuntu, problem is I have about 200 GB of videos on a 250 GB hard drive. I was wondering if there was a way to get these moved onto an ubuntu partition, basically by resizing partitions as i move info to it.

I'm a college kid and have ZERO money for an external drive so that is out of the question lol.

Thanks
    Computer Science.equals(a great thing)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: A Trick Partitioning Problem

If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to move files to your Ubuntu partition, then resize that partition to occupy all the space that you just freed up and repeat until you have everything?

What's wrong with just deleting the windows files from that partition and keeping the movies on that seperate partition? That way if your Ubuntu install goes down, you can reinstall without having to back up all that data. And by deleting all the windows files, you will free up that much more space.
    Any piece of knowledge I acquire today has a value at this moment exactly proportioned to my skill to deal with it. Tomorrow, when I know more, I recall that piece of knowledge and use it better.
    -Mark Van Doren

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: A Trick Partitioning Problem

The Odor
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending small a degree of it. -- Thomas Jefferson
    Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.