Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SSH port-forward on boot?

Beans

Re: SSH port-forward on boot?

OK. I have found the ssh option I mentioned earlier. Add the following flag to ssh line:

Code:
    -i /home/jack/.ssh/id_dsa
    to use jack's identity when connecting. Or id_rsa if you use rsa keys. Here is the related part from man ssh:

-i identity_file
    Selects a file from which the identity (private key) for RSA or DSA authentication is read. The default is
    ~/.ssh/identity for protocol version 1, and ~/.ssh/id_rsa and ~/.ssh/id_dsa for protocol version 2. Identity
    files may also be specified on a per-host basis in the configuration file. It is possible to have multiple -i
    options (and multiple identities specified in configuration files).
    Last edited by Vivaldi Gloria; September 4th, 2008 at 02:48 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by windependence View Post
    I don't quite understand because your step father would nbot have to do anytihng at all. This can be done entirely on your end, you just have to have the VNC server running on his machine and listening. I do this all the time from my work computers to various machines on my metwork with no interaction needed on that end.

-Tim
    I want to get the tunnel established on boot. If the server has to restart for whatever reason, I dont want to have to go in and run commands. If my stepfather wants to connect to his machine from work and the connection is down, he's SOL and has to bother me.

My server does stay up most of the time, but if I am still learning and I mess around on it all the time. I don't want to have to deal with this if i can get it to run automatically.

Unless you're trying to explain to me how to do it a diffderent way that I don't understand?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Vivaldi Gloria View Post
    OK. I have found the ssh option I mentioned earlier.
    That's still giving me the same problem. I'm thinking that the script is running and establishing the tunnel but then closes the connection once it moves onto the next task. Could this be a possibility?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    Could this be a possibility?
    Not sure now. I'm leaving now till tomorrow. I'll look into it again then.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Vivaldi Gloria View Post
    Not sure now. I'm leaving now till tomorrow. I'll look into it again then.
    Ok. Thanks for the help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    I want to get the tunnel established on boot. If the server has to restart for whatever reason, I dont want to have to go in and run commands. If my stepfather wants to connect to his machine from work and the connection is down, he's SOL and has to bother me.

My server does stay up most of the time, but if I am still learning and I mess around on it all the time. I don't want to have to deal with this if i can get it to run automatically.

Unless you're trying to explain to me how to do it a diffderent way that I don't understand?
    Well I'm still kinda confused because you could do this at the router level by forwarding a different VNC port to each PC like 5900 to yours, 5901 to his etc, and then all he would have to do is connect to the correct VNC session like xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1

That should be pretty simple for him. Maybe I still don't understand your problem.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans
    Distro

Oooh.

Desktop computers are continuous shut off and rebooted and are using DHCP to obtain their IP addresses. If you take a look at my first post, you'll see that i'm using netbios name instead of IP.

We don't want to setup static IPs on our desktops.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Why not? Security? Not much security through obscurity. Personally I don't see any reason for not doing that but you may have a good reason.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by windependence View Post
    Why not? Security? Not much security through obscurity. Personally I don't see any reason for not doing that but you may have a good reason.

-Tim
    Reason being that my stepdad doesn't really trust me with his computer and won't let me set it up.

I had static on my own PC for a while but ended up taking it off due to a conflict.

I would really like to learn how I could get around situations such as this so that I know how to get around problems in the future. Most of the stuff I know has been learned by trying to fix problems.

Beans
    Distro

ba-ba-ba-bump

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast