Thread: DragonflyBSD

Beans

DragonflyBSD

Just wondering has anyone extensively used it before? Haven't read much about it since it seems to fly under the radar a lot but I'm quite interested in trying it, that and MidnightBSD. It uses pkgsrc so that's a plus for me, but I was just interested if there was someone, anyone who knows anything about it as I really can't seem to find much info on it other than the usual it split from FreeBSD became a fork etc etc

Beans

Re: DragonflyBSD

It's a great project that is definitely going places. Their pkgsrc implementation is a bit screwy, but it's still a fun project to play with. It isn't as stable [yet] as Net, Open, or FreeBSD.

Beans

Grab the LiveDVD they just announced and give it a whirl.
    http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=05066

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Antman View Post
    Grab the LiveDVD they just announced and give it a whirl.
    http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=05066
    That was exactly what I saw which prompted my curiosity . What the heck I'll try it out, downloading now...

Beans

Necromany :
    Anyways I finally bothered to installed DragonflyBSD instead of just trying out the liveDVD and it was really cool. Probably what's most interesting is the HAMMER filesystem which I think has a ton of potential. For those who don't know what it is http://www.dragonflybsd.org/hammer/hammer.pdf kinda long and probably dry and boring to most people but oh well . Anyways was just wondering if anybody else has tried DragonflyBSD recently along with the HAMMER filesystem and what their thoughts were about it.

Beans

HAMMER is amazing. It's really made for systems with massive hard drives, but it's still cool.

Beans

From now on I think I'm just going to change the title of all my BSD related threads to "cardinals_fan what's your opinion on <insert BSD topic>"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

HAMMER is fascinating.
    Check out this article comparing it with Sun's ZFS.
    Follow it up with some small corrections made by DragonFlyBSD's Matt Dillon.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by C!oud View Post
    From now on I think I'm just going to change the title of all my BSD related threads to "cardinals_fan what's your opinion on <insert BSD topic>"
    Hey, I like BSD systems
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorivenul View Post
    HAMMER is fascinating.
    Check out this article comparing it with Sun's ZFS.
    Follow it up with some small corrections made by DragonFlyBSD's Matt Dillon.
    Good articles. I would definitely recommend this for a good overview.