Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What benefits would a Mac give me?

Beans

What benefits would a Mac give me?

Yes I realise this should go under the reacuring topics section, but I can't post there.

Now I searched around and found quite a few Linux vs Macs, but most people replied speaking about Linux itself and not the main GUI for it.

So what I'm wondering is what benifits would I have using a mac when I'm using ubuntu? I've barely even scratched a Mac before.

Beans

Re: What benifits would a Mac give me?

Like any OS, if your current one is good for you, changing would be rather pointless. A Mac is expensive, and many people used to Linux find its GUI and quirks very annoying and counter intuitive (although, there is no such thing as intuition for interfaces).

If you want to try it and have the cash, it will likely be a good computer, although expensive. If you like Linux, and like to customise, you may not like OS X much (I didn't...).

Beans
    Hidden!

You mean advantages of running Linux on a Mac, or advantages of the Mac GUI over all the Linux GUIs?

For the first one, I'd say no advantage. Except flashy casing.

As for the second, there are so many different desktop managers with loads of add-ons, that if you wanted the Mac GUI, you could configure it to look that way.

If it's neither, then explain what you mean.

EDIT:
    Oh now I get it. I'm not sure that there'd be any advantage. Except you can run Apple/commercial programs.
    Last edited by xuCGC002; October 24th, 2008 at 06:05 AM.

Beans

Support for commercial applications in a Unix environment. I switched from Ubuntu to OS X because I had to run Photoshop for my Graphic Design major, needed to be able to turn in properly formated .doc and .ppt files to my professors, and wanted to be able to sync my Treo and my iPod.
    Other than that, I personally like the look and feel, GTK themes and AWN don't really come close... That's just personal opinion though, I know that lots of people don't like OS X's look and feel.
    Last edited by bashveank; October 24th, 2008 at 06:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Tight integration with other Apple products
    MacBook Air 3,1 128gb | Fujitsu Esprimo U9200 | Google Nexus One

Pinoy ka ba? | Google Profile | Twitter: @AllanCaeg| Identi.ca: allancaeg

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wersdaluv View Post
    Tight integration with other Apple products
    And only other Apple products, whether you like it or not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Mac OSX Tiger has a nice desktop, it kinda reminds me of Linux. Everything is fairly simple, its OK..in my opinion there is nothing to write home about. The benefits? I would say the lack of viruses and malware.

But then again Linux provides the same benefits. If you want a Mac and don't want to spend a lot of money. A G3 I Mac with Tiger OS X usually sells for under $100 on E-bay. I own two of them, I tried Ubuntu on the G3 Imacs....flash ...when I last looked was not supported on the Linux Power PC platform. Gnash didn't cut it.

G3 B & W Macs can be found between $10 to $35 on E-bay and elsewhere. If you need a Tiger OS X disc, check E-Bay.

Stay away from OS 9 as it is obsolete in my opinion and equivalent to Windows 95 in what it can do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bashveank View Post
    Support for commercial applications in a Unix environment.
    Unix-like. And Windows gives you that as well if you install Windows Services for Unix.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: What benefits would a Mac give me?

AS a mac owner myself i can't by any means rcommend a Mac unless you solely intend to run OS X on it. Apple has changed drivers and swapped things around (hardware) as they pleased which makes it hard to get working fully together with Linux. There isn't spent that much dev time on making macs work better with linux because most people that buy mac never go back. Besides that its a though job to get working.

/LeAstrale (owner of a 4,1 macbook)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Talking Re: What benefits would a Mac give me?

A lighter wallet.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    DELL Precision 390 T6700 @2.6Ghz 8GB nVidia NV44 Quadro NVS 285
    HP Slimline s5150t Q9300@2.8GHz 8GB Nvidia G210
    Lenovo Ideapad y550p i720 1.6Ghz 8GB Nvidia GT240M

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast