View Poll Results: Have you tried Google chrome?

Voters
789. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

428 54.25%
  • Not yet as there is no version for Linux

321 40.68%
  • I have Windows but not tried it.

40 5.07%
Page 101 of 108 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1071

Thread: Google Chrome megathread (pre-Linux version)

Beans

Re: Google Chrome megathread (pre-Linux version)

Quote Originally Posted by Anurag_panda View Post
    Does it run in WINE?
    I haven't, but it works really nicely in virtualbox!
    http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...gle-chrome.png

Indeed it's running natively, but in virtualbox on my Dell Inspiron 8600 w/ 512mb of ram, so it's really not too bad running windows on top of Ubuntu
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Does it run in WINE?
    Yes. If there isn't a link posted shortly, there is definitely a link within the last ten pages of the megathread. Just do a quick search.
    ...:::{Matthew}:::...
    Ubuntu User # 17973 | Psychocat's Ubuntu Resources| Install ANYTHING
    Blessings and Love

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What do you think about google Chrome?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzja View Post
    Just for the sake of argument, have a look here guys http://www.osnews.com/story/20244/Go...idered_Harmful
    Looks like a hit job to me. The people who have used it say it uses less memory than Firefox (and two have said less than IE), so I'm not sure what this guy is basing ANYTHING he's saying on. Seems to me he read the cartoon and tried to think up ways to argue with it just through pure conjecture.

But to break it down, here's a number of stupid, stupid things he says:

As mentioned, Google banks on the idea that browser tabs are leaking memory. Thankfully there is an easy fix for this. Either use IE8, or when loading a demanding web page, do so in a new browser window, which operates on a separate process.
    Ah yes, GREAT idea. Pick IE, the most insecure browser in existence, or open other browser windows? What year does he think we live in? 2002? Who the hell is going to be opening extra instances just for "demanding web pages"?

Next up, a figure wonders if it would be great to have a new browser. Apparently, it could be great. On the other hand designers, that will have yet another browser to test their pages against, wouldn't be delighted. Neither would plugin developers such as Adobe, Sun and Microsoft that would have yet another environment to support for their Flash, Java and Media Player + Silverlight plugins.
    So apparently designing a new browser is BAD because it means web designers have another browser to test on. We just have to suck it up and deal with imperfect browsers because the poor devs shouldn't have to deal with a new browser. This guy must also hate Linux because it's to much work for software designers to have to deal with another OS.

By the way, did anyone else find it weird that he mentions using Internet Explorer a few times and brings up Silverlight, a technology that frankly no one is actually using? I notice Firefox gets no mention at all, either.

Being bored, I googled him. http://www.linkedin.com/pub/3/2A5/78B

Georgios Kasselakis’s Education

Aristoteleion Panepistimion Thessalonikis

Computer Science 2003 — 2007

Activities and Societies:
    Co founded the Hellenic Student Computer Science Company, Microsoft Student Partner
    I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I think this guy might just be slightly on MS's side for reasons other than objective analysis. Sure he doesn't have a job with them now, but you know damn well that being part of the MSP is a factor here.
    Last edited by SomeGuyDude; September 16th, 2008 at 06:34 PM. Reason: added stuff.
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It does just seem to be chromium in Wine, although the screenshots look admirable. I look forward to the native Linux version.
    ...:::{Matthew}:::...
    Ubuntu User # 17973 | Psychocat's Ubuntu Resources| Install ANYTHING
    Blessings and Love

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've tried it at work (Windows) and I love it. I'll be grabbing the Linux version as soon as it's available!

Beans
    Hidden!

Just tried the Google Chrome in Windows and I have to say I am impressed. This Web Browser is extremely fast and reliable.

I like the minimalism which is obviously ultimately meant to be used in Mobile devices, I look forward to using this in the Android OS on a Cell Phone.

Beans

Question When Google Chrome comes to Linux...

We're all aware Google are working on a version of Chrome for Linux. My question (and slight worry) is whether Google are actually going to natively program Chrome for Linux, or pull one of their usual tricks and run it under Wine, much like Google Earth and Picasa.

Google Earth and Picasa are great pieces of software for Linux, but I can imagine they could be so much snappier and responsive when programmed natively for Linux.

What does everyone think? I'm interested to hear other people's opinions on this matter,

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: When Google Chrome comes to Linux...

I don't have Wine installed but I can run Google Earth. It's even in the repos.

So I assume Chrome will make its way into the repos someday too.

Last edited by Sealbhach; September 18th, 2008 at 08:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: When Google Chrome comes to Linux...

well according to many many many threads here on the forums, we're all going to die very soon... so i don't think it matters.

we're supposed to be living in fear... no more talk about good things like chrome.

but seriously, they have a native google earth... i imagine they would make a native chrome too.

Page 101 of 108 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103 ... LastLast