Thread: Finally Divorcing Ubuntu - Which distro should i choose?

Beans

Finally Divorcing Ubuntu - Which distro should i choose?

Hi - Well I'm finally divorcing Ubuntu since the last update decided to stop my wifi from working. I have an intel 3945abg.

So my question is.... is there a stable distro out there that my wifi will work on.

Any recomendations please (thanks in advance).

" Ubuntu 'Just Works'

We've done all the hard work for you. Once Ubuntu is installed, all the basics are in place so that your system will be immediately usable. " (from the ubuntu website)

Beans

Re: Finally Divorcing Ubuntu - Which distro should i choose?

nobody can recommend a distro?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The only other distro I used extensively was Mandriva, a couple of years ago. It had some nice features, mainly an extensive system control center (desktop-independent) that I still rather miss. I would say it's quite newbie-friendly but I don't know if it supports your wi-fi chipset.
    "Candle? What candle? I don't see any candle, it's too damn dark in here!"
    Visit my author home page | Read about the exploits of Dennis the Rescue Vizsla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hrm... I am 100 % sure you had been very much out of luck, I am using Ubuntu 8.04.1 (try download that). And have exact same model Wifi card on my LG K2 Pro Express Dual Laptop, and it "just works" very well indeed.

So please: Download install from fresh and please tell if you still has problems.

Otherwise try Debian Lenny, even if it is beta.

Best regards

Stardustdk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Linux Distros are like cola beverages, sure, there is a difference, but its a personal taste thing.

maybe you would get more feedback if you explained several things about ubuntu that arent your favoirite features, along with things you really wish it would do for you.

if hardware support is your number one need, then I honestly dont think you will find a better distro to switch to.

offhand, mint is nice, but its ubuntu based. pclinuxos is nice, and its not ubuntu based. So, maybe you will have better luck there. But, in my opinion, ubuntu is king, becuase debian rocks.