Thread: instal help from cd 7.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

instal help from cd 7.10

im not sure what is going wrong, ubuntu 7 loads from disk but is real sluggish. i click the install icon, a few minutes later a white box pops up titled 'install', and does nothing after that. i have it on safe graphics mode but the pointer sometimes disappears or moves very sluggish.

i think that maybe the cd drive is bad and dirty, i was wondering if i could just get ubuntu to directly install from disk. unless the problem is the computer not being able to handle it

trying to install on a emachine w2646

CPU Type: 2.60GHz Intel Celeron
    Hard Drive Bus: Ultra ATA/100
    Standard Memory: 256 MB (removable)
    Maximum Memory: 2.0 GB
    Celeron 2.6GHz Processor / 256MB RAM / 40GB Hard Drive

also operating system crash and recovery disks are damaged, so there is no OS on this machine at all

thanks for you help

Beans

Re: instal help from cd 7.10

Have you tried to install with the gusty alternate cd?

Edit: If you can boot from usb, you could try installing from usb stick. See here
    Ubuntu Newbie Help: irc: #beginners-help on network irc.freenode.net
    Help others, mark your threads solved.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by madshad View Post
    im not sure what is going wrong, ubuntu 7 loads from disk but is real sluggish. i click the install icon, a few minutes later a white box pops up titled 'install', and does nothing after that. i have it on safe graphics mode but the pointer sometimes disappears or moves very sluggish.

i think that maybe the cd drive is bad and dirty, i was wondering if i could just get ubuntu to directly install from disk. unless the problem is the computer not being able to handle it

trying to install on a emachine w2646

CPU Type: 2.60GHz Intel Celeron
    Hard Drive Bus: Ultra ATA/100
    Standard Memory: 256 MB (removable)
    Maximum Memory: 2.0 GB
    Celeron 2.6GHz Processor / 256MB RAM / 40GB Hard Drive

also operating system crash and recovery disks are damaged, so there is no OS on this machine at all

thanks for you help
    no matter what operating system you install, there's no excuse for only having 256mb of ram in a computer that supports 2gb. ram is cheap. you should have no less than 1gb.

Beans

More ram is the best suggestion. With only 256mb, you'll need to use the Alternate CD (live CD won't work) and performance will be sluggish. Xubuntu would be a better fit if for some reason upgrading your ram is not an option.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Re: instal help from cd 7.10

thanks for your help, im researching memory upgrades and downloading zubuntu for the time being.