Thread: proxy with pidgin and evolution via gnome

Beans

Red face proxy with pidgin and evolution via gnome

My school requires a proxy with no password protection in order to use the internet. I set firefox to use the proxy, and I also changed the GNOME settings to use the proxy with no password; however, pidgin and evolution do not connect, while firefox does.

Can anyone help correct this error?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: proxy with pidgin and evolution via gnome

Under Advanced Settings of your connection details, you could specify the proxy settings. You could either give your proxy there or select an option to use gnome proxy.

Beans

Firefox works fine no matter whether I tell it to use GNOME settings or enter it in manually, but pidgin and evolution do not work (i.e. pidgin will not sign in and evolution will not collect mail.)

Thus, my proxy settings in GNOME are correct, so it must be something with pidgin or evolution. The command sudo apt-get update/upgrade also work, so it is definitely not GNOME's fault.

Does anyone know how to correct the settings in Pidgin and Evolution? I told pidgin to use the GNOME settings, but it still doesn't work!

Nick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Have you tried setting the proxy directly in pidgin?

Beans

Ok, I deleted and added my accounts on Pidgin and now it works, but I don't know for evolution. I will try deleting and adding again to see if it works, but I have other plans right now, so I'll do it later.

Beans

Evolution still doesn't work with a proxy. Does anyone know how to get it to work? I switch back and forth from using the school's proxy to my host family's direct connection, so it would seem to be simple...