Thread: Old server, any ideas for an OS

Beans

Thumbs down Old server, any ideas for an OS

Hi,
    Just got my hands on a really old server that i really want to play around with. it was a windows server i believe but i was wondering if there are any old linux type OS that could work on it. Really new to all the linux stuff, i am fully trained in microsoft and comptia so i know about computers, all the jargon doesnt scare me like.
    what i was really wanting to do was, jus for fun really, get this server up with an OS and get a few of my old machines, which are unix and windows based, all working together like. all of it is about the same age, i can probably tell people alot about it all since i built up all the computers and was just given this server.
    the server need booting from floppy, then you can load a CD from there. Its running on 4 Pentium Pro CPUs, think they are around 200MHz each. not sure on the RAM but i have some spare RAM banks and all that jazz if it need more. Dont know what else you need to know, just ask and ill find out.
    anyway ive jabbered on a bit, but if anyone could help me get all this up and running, hopefully all running some kind of unix/linux (dont know what to call it tbh, had too much microsoft crap drilled into me) then i would really appreciate it.
    Like i said though its all just for my amusement really so dont worry yourselves over it.

Beans

Re: Old server, any ideas for an OS

I would try ubuntu server or a debian minimal install. I have heard Damn Small Linux is supposed to be compatible with most old systems. I think NetBSD is known for it's compatibility as well, but might be a bit tricky to install and use.

Beans

There seems to be a bug in the Hardy installer which makes it impossible to install on systems with less than 128MB RAM:

5. Operating systems for really, really old computers:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=575456
    http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributions/Floppy/
    From CLI in my sig.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hands down, one of the *BSD operating systems will work stellar on that machine. Is it an old Compaq by any chance?

IMHO, Linux is too heavy for the older hardware.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans

well it would be nice to know how much ram you have to work with.
    from the spec's you've already given you can pretty much try any linux you want, sure the processor's are slow 200mhz, but you have 4 which should compensate for the slow.

just start testing->
    http://distrowatch.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

If it's an old Compaq, I have RAM and parts I would almost give you if you could help with shipping. I have several of these machines as well as tons of 4.3 GB SCSI drives with carriers if anyone wants them. Make me an offer.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"