Thread: Using WINE and Mounting ISO's

Beans

Unhappy Using WINE and Mounting ISO's

Ok, now that I have my other hard disks working now, now I have another problem, how do I open up WINE so I can open up Windows Programs or something? Or is there a way so that when I open the .exe of the program WINE steps in and Emulates Windows (like its suppose to).

Also, I would like to konw how you mount iso'sm Ive tried the command
    Code:
    mount -o loop -t iso9660 file.iso /mnt/test
    but when ever I set it to where my iso is it says that it cant find it

no such file or directory or something like that, if theres a Program Out there that can mount isos like Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120% (or 52%) then plz tell me and link. I rlly wanna play my games!!!

Beans

Re: Using WINE and Mounting ISO's

The command you mention should work. Make sure to run it as root (sudo). Can you post the output of the command?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

1- To use wine just double-click your program (like in windows), this should work..

2- I use this program to mount iso's:

sudo apt-get install gmountiso

Beans
    Hidden!

When mounting ISOs, make sure the mount point exists. The mount point is the folder/directory at which the ISO can be accessed. In your command, the directory "/mnt/test" should exist prior to running that command. Which means, you'll have to do this:

Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/test
    mount -t iso9660 <iso file> /mnt/test -o loop
    Good day.

Beans

I just posted a answer that may help you in an other thread.
    I'll repost it here:

Hey,

I had a similar problem recently, which was solved the following way. Let's hope it will work for you too:

Wine manages a directory $HOME/.wine/dosdevices where symbolic links for mapping Windows-drives to locations in your filesystem are held. Just enter the directory in a terminal and examine it yourself (ls -l command).

There are links that have one colon (e.g. E which are refering to the mapping directory in your filesystem, and there drive-letters followed by two colons, which are used to point to a actual physical device (e.g. D: -> /dev/cdrom).
    So I not only tried to loop-mount my iso and bind it to drive E:, but also to bind the "physical drive" E:: to the iso itself, so that the windows software may find the cd's serial and stuff. And guess what, it worked at least for me

Code:
    $ sudo mount -o loop /home/viktor/image.iso /mnt/iso
    $ cd $HOME/.wine/dosdevices
    $ ln -s /mnt/iso e:
    $ ln -s /home/viktor/image.iso e::
    $ wine explorer
    unfortunately I somehow couldn't start the software with
    Code:
    wine /mnt/iso/setup.exe
    I had' to use wine explorer, navigate to drive E: and start setup.exe by double-clicking it.

good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

In reference to the mount command... The command you posted should work assuming the mount point (/mnt/test) exists and you are in the directory in which the iso file is located. A better option would be to use the full path of the iso file, as in the following command.
    Code:
    mount -o loop -t iso9660 /path/to/file.iso /mnt/test
    Of course, "/path/to/" should be replaced with the actual path to the file.

However, I second the suggestion of gmount-iso. It simplifies the process greatly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I always use

cd /media/cdrom0
    user@ubuntu:/media/cdrom0$ wine setup.exe (or whatever)
    Also, I believe the command "wine eject" comes in handy when switching media.

Of course this is if the cd is in the drive and not an iso file
    A computer allows you to make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.