Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Chrome threads moved to windows discussions?

Beans
    Hidden!

Exclamation Google Chrome threads moved to windows discussions?

Why?

Today Google have unveiled their intention to create a cross platform browser for the masses, starting with a windows beta. It's a milestone by anyone's definition.

There is discussion of the browser itself, potential linux and mac compatibility, whether it will be gtk or qt4, it's features, look and feel, people actually trying to compile it for linux etc.. yet it has all been buried in the back of beyond in "windows discussions".

Seems very churlish. Almost out of spite because google aren't quite ready with their linux version yet. At least that's the impression this has given off.

I don't recall all google earth/picasa etc discussions buried there before there was a linux compatible version?

What if a website announces a ground breaking service that will initially only be available to IE users initially, will that be buried there also? I don't expect so....

Also there is a very practical reason to move it back from being buried in windows discussions, duplicate threads. The most obvious place for it is Community cafe, and so when someone is looking for a discussion of it there and doesn't find it, they're going to start a thread on it, which will then be endlessly repeated the more you move those threads over to Windows Discussions.

Can we move it back please, so that more people will see it and be able to take part, and so the discussion won't be fragmented by endless new threads on the topic in the community cafe?

Cheers
    If someone tells you to sudo rm -rf ANYTHING, then DO NOT DO IT!

Don't run any command with rm in it unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Google Chrome threads moved to windows discussions?

I moved it back; I can agree to that. Not sure how it ended up in that forum, maybe the topic was started there?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jacobmp92 View Post
    I moved it back; I can agree to that. Not sure how it ended up in that forum, maybe the topic was started there?
    No. I moved them because they are Windows only software discussion threads. It is misleading to have them in the Cafe.

We have always had Windows only software discussions in the Windows forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    No. I moved them because they are Windows only software discussion threads. It is misleading to have them in the Cafe.

We have always had Windows only software discussions in the Windows forum.
    Oh, okay. Though really, I wouldn't see it as Windows exclusive, considering that the source is available for a limited Linux build, and that the full build is just around the corner.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jacobmp92 View Post
    Oh, okay. Though really, I wouldn't see it as Windows exclusive, considering that the source is available for a limited Linux build, and that the full build is just around the corner.
    Around the corner is not here

The reason why I moved it because it is a great thing (well, lots of hype and positive reviews) but it is a crash when one finds out it is Windows only.

Even if it is only at the moment, I think it is only fair to people like me willing to try out a new browser, only to find out I can't do it.

It is Windows software.

(Now that we've all broken the rules, @OP Yes, they were in the Windows forum, and I always move Windows only software discussions to the Windows forum)

Beans

I will look at this and respond in due course.

It may be a while as there is a few entries in the res centre today. Please be patient
    This account is not active.

Beans

While this is initially a windows beta release I think there is general interest in this development

It is in this case appropriate for it to be in the General discussion area

Edit: yikes , but which one , links please

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    While this is initially a windows beta release I think there is general interest in this development

It is in this case appropriate for it to be in the General discussion area

Edit: yikes , but which one , links please
    I'd move them back, but I didn't move all of them to Windows. I think the current ones in the Cafe (and future ones) are suitable (and there is one in the PT). The reviewing ones and screenshot ones should stay in Windows forum (to not have all of them in a line in the Cafe)

I'd move them all back, but I think that would create a lot more confusion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think basically - leave all Google Chrome threads where they are now, it's easier that way

Unless we create a huge single thread for it, or move them all to Recurring Discussions?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Joeb454 View Post
    I think basically - leave all Google Chrome threads where they are now, it's easier that way

Unless we create a huge single thread for it, or move them all to Recurring Discussions?

Thats a good idea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast