Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Hardy on Compal JHL90

Beans

Ubuntu Hardy on Compal JHL90

I've decided to launch this new thread specifically for users of the Compal JHL90 which is resold under a variety of brands, including PowerPro.

A lot of discussion has happened on the thread regarding the Intel WiFi Link 5100 card, and the problem seems to be unresolved for the Compal JHL90 platform.

The other big problem I'm facing is that suspend-to-ram, aka hiberate doesn't work... the unit will not wake up properly, the screen is black and I have to hard reset it.

I want this thread dedicated to problems with Ubuntu specifically around JHL90.

Bring your ideas and questions here. Note also if you're running 32-bit or 64-bit Ubuntu. I'm running Kubuntu 8.04 64bit with a custom compiled kernel version 2.6.26-rc4, and still no wireless and no hiberate.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Hardy on Compal JHL90

I currently have ubuntu 64 bit/kubuntu 32 bit installed on my compal JHL90. Both standard 2.6.24-19-generic.

I'm not yet an advanced tech guy but i'll tell you what's up with me yet:

- suspend to disk working (hibernate) on kub and ub
    - suspend to ram not working (standby) on kub, ok on ub
    - wifi worked out of box on ubuntu, after I did a reinstall of network-manager-kde it worked too, but don't have reason for that.
    - webcam working fine on kub and ub using GSPCA / SPCA5xx, however slow in some programs, nice in others, don't have reason yet.
    - opengl apps working nice with nvidia drivers.

I disabled desktop effects on kde, as it wasn't working nicely, creating bad boots sometimes, no wlan active etc ..., maybe try without desktop effects wolframarnold?

- Fingerprint reader not working. When I do lsusb I get this:
    ***@***:~$ lsusb
    Bus 008 Device 003: ID 04f2:b109 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd *(webcam)*
    Bus 008 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 007 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 006 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 004 Device 002: ID 147e:1000 *(no description?)*
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:c03d Logitech, Inc. *(usb mouse)*
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

I haven't found much info when googling that device 147e:1000 device ID, anyone got some info on that?

Beans

I'm back on Intrepid Ibex Alpha 4 64-bit on kernel 2.6.27-2-generic.

In lshw -C network, it no longer says DISABLED for the wireless adapter, but I still can't connect to a network.

As for the blank entry in lsusb, it's definitely blank in Intrepid.

Bus 008 Device 004: ID 064e:a115 Suyin Corp. (webcam?)
    Bus 008 Device 002: ID 0586:340f ZyXEL Communications Corp. G-220 v2 (USB wireless adapter)
    Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 002: ID 147e:1000
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:c00e Logitech, Inc. M-BJ58/M-BJ69 Optical Wheel Mouse
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

However, in lshw...
    *-usb:4
    description: USB Controller
    product: 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1
    vendor: Intel Corporation
    physical id: 1d
    bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.0
    version: 03
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: bus_master cap_list
    configuration: driver=uhci_hcd latency=0 module=uhci_hcd
    *-usbhost
    product: UHCI Host Controller
    vendor: Linux 2.6.27-2-generic uhci_hcd
    physical id: 1
    bus info: usb@5
    logical name: usb5
    version: 2.06
    capabilities: usb-1.10
    configuration: driver=hub slots=2 speed=12.0MB/s
    *-usb UNCLAIMED
    description: Generic USB device
    product: Fingerprint Sensor
    vendor: TouchStrip
    physical id: 2
    bus info: usb@5:2
    version: 0.33
    capabilities: usb-1.00
    configuration: maxpower=100mA speed=12.0MB/s

So it seems that the blank name is the fingerprint sensor. I don't know of any program that can recognize it for Linux.

Another issue that I've noticed is that the only temperature I can monitor (via gnome-applets) is for the video card. CPU and system readings are not available.
    Last edited by sumwonyuno; September 2nd, 2008 at 03:17 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by willemse View Post
    I currently have ubuntu 64 bit/kubuntu 32 bit installed on my compal JHL90. Both standard 2.6.24-19-generic.

- suspend to ram not working (standby) on kub, ok on ub
    - wifi worked out of box on ubuntu, after I did a reinstall of network-manager-kde it worked too, but don't have reason for that.

- Fingerprint reader not working. When I do lsusb I get this:
    Just to clarify -- your wireless DOES work under 64 bit Ubuntu, but not under 32 bit Kubuntu? What wireless card do you have? Can you post the result of "sudo lshw -C network"

It's also interesting to me that suspend-to-ram is working for you under Ubuntu. What is your BIOS version? (You can see it on the BIOS screen when you press F2 right after power-on.)

Fingerprint reader: Take a look at the fprint project and links and comments herein.

Beans

I'm having sound problem as well. The sound doesn't work, and there doesn't seem to be a way to find the driver. The TTY also does not work - a blank screen just shows up.

I'm also having the wireless and standby/hibernate issues.

Beans

as far as the the wireless, i already posted in the intel 5100 thread but i installed the latest beta of intrepid ibex and wireless is working flawlessly. so that's an option to try for you guys who really need the wireless to function like i do.

but as far as the other stuff, i haven't really messed with ibex enough yet (only like 20 mins) to see what else works/doesn't work.

Beans

Yep. Ibex seems to have fixed the sound and wireless issues for me. Though I still haven't figured out if/whether the microphone works. But at least it's quite an improvement.

Freiddie

Beans

Smile Re: Ubuntu Hardy on Compal JHL90

I've upgraded to Intrepid 64bit. Here is my update with regards to the Compal JHL90:

• First, I've upgraded my bios to the latest available from Compal 1.10 (I think)
    • Unrelated to the Compal JHL90: Initially I had installed Kubuntu, but as much as I love KDE, I found KDE 4.1 not ready for prime time, so I switched to Gnome by installing "ubuntu-desktop"
    • Out of the box, the wireless card worked! Yeah!
    • Out of the box, the binary Nvidia driver (version 177) was offered (after first boot-up) and worked! Yeah!
    • The suspend-to-ram didn't work (system didn't wake up)
    • The suspend-to-disk (hiberate) didn't work either (system didn't wake up)
    • Sound worked out of the box! Yeah!

The suspend-to-ram I fixed by commenting out the stuff in /etc/defaults/acpi-support as described here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Nv...yDriverSuspend

The suspend-to-disk (hiberate) seems to shut the machine down, I'm not sure yet what's going on here.

Beans

Hi wolframarnold,

I'm on exactly the same specs as you are except i'm on Kubuntu. Say, do you have messed graphics and freezing windows?

Sometimes when I start up my machine I get Ubuntu running in low graphics mode warning with a screen split in two halves...

I think the nvidia drivers are to blame...

Please tell me what are your experiences

Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by linbeans View Post
    I'm on exactly the same specs as you are except i'm on Kubuntu. Say, do you have messed graphics and freezing windows?
    You know, I'm a big time Kubuntu fan and user. But I took one look at KDE 4.1, and I decided for myself that it's not ready yet. I need a desktop that just works and I don't care to tinker with tons of stuff just to get it running. So I'm on Gnome again for the first time in many years. You can install both, by the way. Just run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    and you can try it.

That said, I read somewhere in the Kubuntu 8.10 release notes that there is a graphics performance problem with the Nvidia proprietary driver and that they're waiting for a fix from Nvidia.

I don't have any trouble under Ubuntu (w/ Gnome); I'm using the Nvidia proprietary driver and it's very fast at native resolution. No problems here.

The only thing that required a small tweak (see my previous post) is the suspend settings.

Best of luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast