Thread: ubuntu on hp notebook: first round

Beans

ubuntu on hp notebook: first round

Hi everyone,
    I want to know the steps I should follow to install ubuntu on my notebook: HP pavillion 6704nr.
    I have both 32bits and 64bits of Ubuntu 7.04 here, but neither could go through the installation process when I put them into the machine I gave the boot: the installation has been stopped in a freezy and coloured screen everytime, in both cds.

I'd like to know which version is more recommended for a turion x2 notebook because I have heard 32bit version is more compatible, but that is not proper for this hardware.

What must I do to can install ubuntu on it? Any --noSTUFF parameters are necessary to do that? Which one?

I have already gotten crazy when I downgrated windows vista to windows xp and installed all drivers, so, does ubuntu already have all drivers and things necessary for its use on my notebook?

The hardware is:
    notebook hp pavillion dv6704nr
    turion x2 ~1.90GHz
    2GB Ram
    graphic: nvidia geforce go 7150M
    hd: 160 GB (5400 RPM) (SATA)
    wireless: atheros
    (I am not sure about exactly all the parts but I can check following hints given)

thanks for the help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: ubuntu on hp notebook: first round

Try starting either livecd in safe graphics mode. In the Menu screen press F4 and select safe graphics mode, hit enter and your ready to go.

Jim

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: ubuntu on hp notebook: first round

Like cariboo says and 64bit version. I am running virtually the same machine as you have and 64bit no problems. Odd you should be having a problem. (32bit apps will run once you are up anyhow, sometimes with a bit of tweaking).

And welcome to the forums!