Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flash crashes , issue with web browser firefox epiphany galeon

Beans

Question Flash crashes , issue with web browser firefox epiphany galeon

Is ubuntu ever going to come out with a fix for flash that crashes web browsers? The bug report was filed almost immediately when Hardy came out, but there is still no fix. It can be very annoying when you are typing something in one tab and flash from another crashes the browser, and you lose all your data. It's almost a switch back to Windows issue. (Though I do like Ubuntu overall, it is much better than Windows)

The bug is:

-Flash crashes any type of web browser at random when first initializing
    -Flash crashes any type of web browser always on certain sites

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Flash crashes , issue with web browser firefox epiphany galeon

I found that disabling Ubuntu Firefox Modifications in addons and the flash crashes were minimized in firefox.
    CyberPower Gamer Ultra 7209 | AMD Athlon II X2 240 | 6 GB RAM | 1000GB & 500GB SATA-II HD
    ATI Radeon HD4550 | HP 2430 Printer | Ubuntu 11.04 | Windows 7 | ViewSonic VA703b Monitor

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by laverabe View Post
    Is ubuntu ever going to come out with a fix for flash that crashes web browsers? The bug report was filed almost immediately when Hardy came out, but there is still no fix. It can be very annoying when you are typing something in one tab and flash from another crashes the browser, and you lose all your data. It's almost a switch back to Windows issue. (Though I do like Ubuntu overall, it is much better than Windows)

The bug is:

-Flash crashes any type of web browser at random when first initializing
    -Flash crashes any type of web browser always on certain sites
    What Flashplayer do you have installed? I recently got the latest from the Adobe website and have not seen any crash till now.

Beans

Unfortunately, I had no luck with disabling the modifications in addons, it still crashes. I don't think it is a firefox problem, since it does it in the other two browsers I tried.

It may be a flash problem, but I had tried upgrading to the newer flash, and it still crashes. My flash version is 9.0 r124 as listed under the Plugins section.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Try running Memtest to check if you memory sticks are ok. I had the same problem under Windows and was going nuts when decided to install Ubuntu. The Live CD has Memtest, so I did a few tests and found that one memory card was faulty.

Since I replaced that memory card Firefox is not crashing as it used to, like 3 times per minute. It crashes now when I try to switch tabs while a flash web site is loading on another tab, but nothing compared with the nightmare before the memory replacement.

BTW, I have deleted Windows and I'm a happy Ubuntu user for about two weeks.

Beans

I only have a single RAM card, and it's 1ghz, so I don't think I need to upgrade that. This system was prebuilt with Ubuntu, since I liked how Ubuntu worked on my last comp, I bought a prebuilt one from Dell. I've never had any problems with flash with Fiesty or Gutsy, but Heron is giving me problems. It is not severe, and only occurs when first opening the flash window. Once the video starts it's no problem, and I am usually able to get any flash to work after 1 or 2 tries; it is more an annoyance. There is only one site that I can't view the flash, it's comedy central (the daily show) website; doesn't work for some reason.

Can't wait for the next distro, I**** I****, because HH was a COMPLETE nightmare compared to FF and GG (I had other problems, most of which are resolved, though the side panels do freeze from time to time)

Beans

Beans

Well, no joy. I tried the new flash plugin, downloaded, extracted, and installed (no small feat for me!), and it said it installed perfectly. This was after I removed the old flash. But no flash appeared in mozilla. I reinstalled the nonfree flash from the repositories and it appears to returned to the way it was before.

Seems like everytime I try to fix 1 thing, 2 things break. Unfortunately now when the firefox crashes when flash freezes it, it no longer recovers the pages that were last viewed in it. Oy!

Linux is great, but it's confusing as all hell!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=472

This solved all my flash problems
    Google and forums taught me most of what I know
    Ubuntu Rocks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I use a FF plugin that i believe is called flashblocker. Simply put, it won't start flash animations until you click on them. Flash is particularly annoying in 64 bit as it just eats up resources like mad. If you've had a menu drop down BEHIND a flash animation you'll instantly appreciate flashblocker.
    Why can't life have a sudo apt-get install -f command?
    Install VMWare Server 2 on a text-only system
    Need help getting your printer working in Linux?
    It's all about choice, right? Then stop flaming Windows users.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast