Thread: Um.....what?

Beans
    Hidden!

Unhappy Um.....what?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=905440

This thread was closed for staff review because it turned into a "BSD bashing thread" :/

For one, the majority of the whole 8 posts aren't about bashing BSD, and even the ONE that mentioned BSD negativly did so as a comparison to the supposed Linux failings mentioned.

Why not post a warning to focus on the purpose of the thread (whether the linux criticism's listed are indeed valid) rather than bashing BSD if you are worried, and then allow the thread to continue?

To close such a thread seems heavy handed and premature. If the thread turned into "why BSD sucks" then i'd give in, but it's nowhere near that, and can be stopped from getting to that stage with a friendly warning if you are at all worried.
    If someone tells you to sudo rm -rf ANYTHING, then DO NOT DO IT!

Don't run any command with rm in it unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing.

Beans

Re: Um.....what?

I will look at this and come back soonest
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!

No rush!

It's hardly a pressing issue in the grand scheme of things, but I do think some kind of agreement needs to be reached between the mods to ensure that a worry that a thread might go south doesn't lead to unnecessary thread closures.

Looking back, my initial post looks a lot more critical and offensive than I intended. I really didn't mean to sound so aggrieved, so apologies for that

I should also have added in my initial post that I mean this as no specific complaint against the moderator concerned. After all, the moderators here are volunteers, and moderating is often a tough and thankless job. With the line between acting too soon or too late being wafer thin, there is always criticism whatever you do. So absolutely no problems with the moderator concerned here, I just feel he was a but "premature" in his actions.

Thanks for looking into this

Beans

a point to remember here is the thread has not been closed and the key tossed into the brinny.

Its been closed for staff review. Others will look at it and a decision reached.

In the past so many threads like this have turned into a bash fest mainly by zeolots. And please , I am not saying you are one.

I will review the thread and see what we should do

Beans

I have reopened the thread with a warning.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for your help