Thread: [SOLVED] yaboot help on failed hardy upgrade, help getting to prompt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

[SOLVED] yaboot help on failed hardy upgrade, help getting to prompt

Hi Hi
    I feel a little out of my knowledge area so I thought to ask for help.
    I help out as the school my daughter goes to by being its it department. Since its a school attached to a church we have a low budget and Linux is perfect.
    While I have a great deal of knowledge about Ubuntu, sadly I know nothing about running it on a mac. Someone donated a older PPC tray cdrom imac and I was happy to see Xubuntu already installed. Sadly it was Dapper drake. All the other pc's (3 total) run Xubuntu Hardy. The cdrom is broken so I couldn't do a fresh install, and I cant start over. After doing a search I found the fix to getting an upgrade going and let everything upgrade.
    On reboot the screen goes white, and then black, and stayed black. I found a thread that helped a little when
    Code:
    Linux nosplash video=ofonly
    is booted it doesnt go immediately black. I can see the loading screen. The loading line goes all the way until the screen usually changes to the login screen then goes black. I have a feeling its a xorg.conf problem. But I have no idea how to get to a command prompt to fix it, or what the fix would be. In grub I would boot into failsafe and the prompt would be there.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

First edit.
    Ok some progress, so that anyone else running into this knows

Code:
    Linux video=ofonly single
    Brings up the rescue menu, including a root prompt. Now I am sure its a xorg.conf problem. I also found out that the imac has ati graphics.

Edit 9-14-08
    After I got the xorg.conf working I had to remove the video=ofonly because with it the desktop was slow and had corruption when the windows were moved.
    Last edited by Kilz; September 15th, 2008 at 12:01 AM.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!