Thread: No Sound in Creative 5.1 SoundBlaster Speaker system

Beans

Cool No Sound in Creative 5.1 SoundBlaster Speaker (only 2 front speakers works) plz help

Hi i am new to ubuntu Linux. I have installed ubuntu8.04 in my 32 bit PC. I am having the following problem with my 5.1 speaker system. Appreciate your help in solving these problem.

1. No sound in my 5.1 sound blaster speakers.
    Action performed:
    The PC had two ordinary stereo speakers while installing ubuntu in my machine. The sound in those 2 speakers were good. Recently i removed those ordinary speakers and added a new "5.1 speaker system" and a "Sound Card" to my PC. The details about speaker and sound card are as provided below...
    Speaker = Inspire M5300
    SoundCard = Sound Blaster® 5.1
    Problem:
    The 5.1 speaker system does not function properly, out of 5 speakers and a sub woofer only 2 Front Speakers and sub woofer is producing sound. there is no sound in remaining three speakers( 1 middle and 2 Rear speakers. )

I noticed a strange behavior that even the front two speakers doesn't produce sound when i play different media files in different players. This gets solved when i change the audio playback setting to "ALSA output" or "Auto detect" setting under "Administration > Sound" menu. (currently i switch b/w "ALSA output" and "Auto detect" whenever i get no sound in front 2 speakers)

PC Configuration:
    INTEL dual core processor,
    INTEL 945 Mother board,
    250 GB hard disk,
    CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER 5.1 SOUND CARD INSTALLED,
    Other Operating System Installed: WINDOWS XP Professional.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by srivboopathi; April 2nd, 2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: No Sound in Creative 5.1 SoundBlaster Speaker system

Hi,
    Well i have a similar problem with my 6.1 Creative Inspire speakers. I tried a lot of things, but could not get the other speakers to work.
    I came across this link:
    http://georgia.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?t=39920

Though it worked for him, it didn't work for me. So you might want to try your luck following this.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf2k5 View Post
    Hi,
    Well i have a similar problem with my 6.1 Creative Inspire speakers. I tried a lot of things, but could not get the other speakers to work.
    I came across this link:
    http://georgia.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?t=39920

Though it worked for him, it didn't work for me. So you might want to try your luck following this.
    hi friend, i tried this link but it dint work for me

Beans

hello sir, ihave just the same problem with my 5.1 system. i recovered that link's not valid, in fact he misspelled something from it. i change it in valid

http://georgia.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=39920

it's same just domen suppose to be .org

good luck in searching

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: No Sound in Creative 5.1 SoundBlaster Speaker (only 2 front speakers works) plz h

Quote Originally Posted by srivboopathi View Post
    Hi i am new to ubuntu Linux. I have installed ubuntu8.04 in my 32 bit PC. I am having the following problem with my 5.1 speaker system. Appreciate your help in solving these problem.

1. No sound in my 5.1 sound blaster speakers.
    Action performed:
    The PC had two ordinary stereo speakers while installing ubuntu in my machine. The sound in those 2 speakers were good. Recently i removed those ordinary speakers and added a new "5.1 speaker system" and a "Sound Card" to my PC. The details about speaker and sound card are as provided below...
    Speaker = Inspire M5300
    SoundCard = Sound Blaster® 5.1
    Problem:
    The 5.1 speaker system does not function properly, out of 5 speakers and a sub woofer only 2 Front Speakers and sub woofer is producing sound. there is no sound in remaining three speakers( 1 middle and 2 Rear speakers. )

I noticed a strange behavior that even the front two speakers doesn't produce sound when i play different media files in different players. This gets solved when i change the audio playback setting to "ALSA output" or "Auto detect" setting under "Administration > Sound" menu. (currently i switch b/w "ALSA output" and "Auto detect" whenever i get no sound in front 2 speakers)

PC Configuration:
    INTEL dual core processor,
    INTEL 945 Mother board,
    250 GB hard disk,
    CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER 5.1 SOUND CARD INSTALLED,
    Other Operating System Installed: WINDOWS XP Professional.
    Why are you running those commands as root? That can actually cause problems due to permissions. Use a terminal in user-mode for this next bit.
    Can you post the output of these terminal commands for me please:
    Code:
    uname -a
    aplay -l
    cat /proc/asound/version
    head -n 1 /proc/asound/card*/codec#*
    Terminal="Applications->Accessories->Terminal"
    Please also include the make/model of your PC/Laptop.
    Please post text output using code tags (the # in toolbar)