Thread: Video Lectures for class in unknown format - need help

Beans

Video Lectures for class in unknown format - need help

So my incompetent professor decided to put all his lectures in proprietary formats, and I have not been able to get them to play. Here is an example of one of his videos:

http://www.geomatics.ifas.ufl.edu/co...to%20Route.wmv (~40mb)

I have medibuntu and w32codecs installed, and have tried watching these in every media player I can think of. I get audio in most, but no video.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans

Re: Video Lectures for class in unknown format - need help

Solution - change video out on mplayer to x11 instead of BLANK, Why does it default to BLANK??? Oh well, at least they work now..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Video Lectures for class in unknown format - need help

OMG. I didn't have patience to watch the entire lecture, but as far as I understand the guy is using Excel instead of something like Powerpoint and typing the topics in the cells. What a noob...

I hate Powerpoint, but is the first time I see in my life someone using Excel for this kind of job. Does he make any calculations with the software or he just type and draw all the time?

Sorry if I'm being sarcastic. But common, he is getting paid for this...

If technology is going to make the job easier for lazy teachers, the least they can do is make a decent presentation. This lecture wouldn't last 10 minutes if he used the proper tools.

You should make a presentation for him about open source formats, using state-of-the-art software, 3D animation and other cool stuff.