Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MBP Pentryn on Ubuntu 8.10 daily

Beans

Re: MBP Pentryn on Ubuntu 8.10 daily

e-gandalf,

I have been looking into the applesmc problem, and the solution is very close now. I would be very interested in two things from you, since you have the MPP 4,1:

* All the problems reported for applesmc in dmesg:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep applesmc | sort -u
    * The output of the attached script, run as root.

Cheers,
    Henrik
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

I just switched from Hardy to Intrepid, installing Intrepid fresh from the daily live CD. I am running on an MBA, but the experience is very similar to the MPB4,1, so I thought I'd report here anyways. These are my observations:

* CPU and ACPI: works fine

* DISK: works fine, parallel SATA

* WLAN: wl driver works, with two lines in rc.local:
    Code:
    rmmod ssb
    modprobe wl
    * LAN: works, using asix driver

* Video: works, with direct rendering

* Sound: works after adding this line to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base:
    Code:
    options snd_hda_intel model=mbp3
    * iSight: works, using uvcvideo driver

* Sensors: works, using applesmc with patches from this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=924096

* Touchpad: works fine

* USB memory stick: works fine

* USB mouse: works fine

* Laptop mode: works after modifying /etc/default/acpi-support

* Screen backlight buttons: Unreliable, strange delays, not using pommed

* Volume buttons: Unreliable, strange delays, not using pommed

* Keyboard backlight buttons: Not working, although manual setting via /sys/class/leds/ works

* Suspend: Unreliable, with strange keyboard problems

* Built-in microphone: Not working

The Bluetooth and IR remote has not been tested, although those are presumably working according to other reports.

Compared to the reports from e-gandalf, this report states that wlan works nicely, that suspend to ram is unreliable, and that there is an additional problem with delayed keyboard echoing in xterm command-line windows. The problem with keyboard backlight is confirmed; there seems to be something handling all such events, but ignoring some of them.

PS: on the fun side, playing neverball (available in package manager) by balancing the laptop in my hands now works
    Last edited by kosumi68; September 21st, 2008 at 06:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kosumi68 View Post
    I just switched from Hardy to Intrepid, installing Intrepid fresh from the daily live CD. I am running on an MBA, but the experience is very similar to the MPB4,1, so I thought I'd report here anyways.
    Could you check over the MBA wiki page and make any adjustments if needed? I think that the iSight stuff is a bit different than in Hardy for everyone... so I might try to build a new how to for that...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Macbook_Air

Beans

I got my Macbook Pro 4.1 last week, but as a Linux user for many years I switched to Intrepid yesterday.

* Screen/Keyboard backlight buttons: with pommed installed this works when switched to a non-graphical terminal (ctrl+alt+F2). Then switching back to X11. Doesn't work within X11 directly.

* Desktop effects: Works, after installing nvidia drivers trough synaptic. nvidia-xconfig enables driver. Installation trough Hardware Drivers doesn't work.

Beans

since today the proprietary driver management is working. wl driver for wireless is installed, but networkmanager doesn't recognize my wifi

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by e-gandalf View Post
    My biggest problem now is pommed not working. Sound works, eject CD works, but no backlight or brightness control
    same for me, i just switched to intrepid (running on a santa rosa macbook pro.).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kjano View Post
    same for me, i just switched to intrepid (running on a santa rosa macbook pro.).
    There is a bug in launchpad reflecting this problem: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...al/+bug/226894. Upstream http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15844 claims to have fixed the problem. If it does not, please add comments and/or open a new bug. I do not think the fixes work for MBP4,1.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    Could you check over the MBA wiki page and make any adjustments if needed? I think that the iSight stuff is a bit different than in Hardy for everyone... so I might try to build a new how to for that...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Macbook_Air
    Perhaps we should split all the wiki pages not only by model but by ubuntu version? I feel the pages gets cluttered with irrelevant information, and the older page, which is still relevant, loses some of its clarity. Besides, the installation in Intrepid is simpler for almost all machines, and it is easier to convince people that it is indeed the case if the wiki page is... simpler

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kosumi68 View Post
    Perhaps we should split all the wiki pages not only by model but by ubuntu version? I feel the pages gets cluttered with irrelevant information, and the older page, which is still relevant, loses some of its clarity. Besides, the installation in Intrepid is simpler for almost all machines, and it is easier to convince people that it is indeed the case if the wiki page is... simpler
    but having multiple pages for each hardware is also confusing... but I understand what you are saying... I have also thought that the best thing to do would be to split them up according to the specific hardware.... Wifi, iSight, Touchpad, Installation, etc since most of this is common to all Macs with the same hardware.

Just make a replacement section for what exists, and if totally irrelevant, then delete the old, otherwise just make an "archive information" section at the bottom with old data... The great thing about a wiki is even if it is deleted, someone can always come back and get the old revision's text if needed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    but having multiple pages for each hardware is also confusing... but I understand what you are saying... I have also thought that the best thing to do would be to split them up according to the specific hardware.... Wifi, iSight, Touchpad, Installation, etc since most of this is common to all Macs with the same hardware.
    That sounds really good. If we break down the procedure to configure a particular component of the machine on a particular ubuntu version, we ought to get a handful of different procedures for each. If the same procedure applies to both hardy and intrepid for instance, we link to the same page.

Just make a replacement section for what exists, and if totally irrelevant, then delete the old, otherwise just make an "archive information" section at the bottom with old data... The great thing about a wiki is even if it is deleted, someone can always come back and get the old revision's text if needed.
    I think it would be good to keep at least the latest stable version alive along with the development version, since it targets two different uses of ubuntu:

* Install the latest stable version, read the wiki, be done

* Install the development version, read the wiki, contribute

Once the development cycle starts over, one can simply copy the development version over to the stable version.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast